Can I squeeze out more without spending?

You have not mentioned your loading techniques. Do you have room for improvmnet there?

Deburr your flash holes, uniform the pockets, keep you neck tension cosistent, your run out to a minimum and you will get there.

I also agree with another post in this thread. If you get too greedy, you will be looking at a new barrel and soon.

The bullets I have had the best luck with when all that mattered was accuracy was the AMAX, SMK, Hornaday BTSP in that order.

i have an adl thAt shoots .6-.7 with one load . never tried anything else. it kicks so much without a brake( it may shoot better than that). a 139 at 3280. why search more? i think you are there. roninflag

Well believe it or not it was the primers. Adjusting the OAL made the groups worse. I went from ~.55 to 1 to 1.3 to 4.5. But, I went from 215m to 210m and bumped my load up .7 grains. Low and behold best group was .361-.284=.077" @110. I thought it was a fluke of variance but I grouped 5 more rounds and shot .44
Case Closed.

Thanks for all your valuable input.

MUCH appreciated.

-Nate

How can a 3.5lb. trigger be 'crisp'? You want to reduce your group size, then reduce your trigger pull to a 'crisp' 2lb. If you have one of the older triggers it should be no problem adjusting it down that light, and it should still be safe, just check it to make sure. My best older Remington trigger I was able to adjust down to 1.75lb and still be safe. Better yet, buy a Jewell trigger and take it down to about a pound, that way you'll really see a big difference in your group size, and believe me you'll love it.

3.5 crisp pounds is much better than the lawyer proof 8.5... but if you want to give me a jewell trigger I'll be glad to put it on.

Thanks but no thanks

Nate

Sorry, I wasn't offering to take you to raise.

You wanted to know how to squeeze out more without spending - I gave you THE quickest, simpliest, and cheapest way to reduce group size. I'll even go one step further and include a link that explains how to perform the trigger adjustment step by step, it even has a picture for you.

Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger

You want to keep your 3.5 lb. trigger, keep it. Apparently you're one of those guys that just use their hands to take the lug nuts off when you have a flat tire, instead of reaching for the 4-star wrench. Makes about as much sense, but then again, to each his own.

Yes I have the old style trigger and yes I adjusted it myself using a picture book for dopes like me but thank you for the over and beyond effort of posting a link. I prefer 0 creep and 0 overtravel and I've achieved that at 3.5 pounds- which for a field gun is justifiable. And you're right about the lugnuts on my car I dont require the use of an inch-drive breaker bar. But if you dont want to break a nail I can see why you'd use one:rolleyes:

I'm done tweaking as of now. I've found the load combo that will consistently hit quarter MOA for 3@ 110. That may not be as great as your 1.75lb triggered gun but I'm completely satisfied with a relatively bone stock 700.

Thanks for the opinions- and the assumptions. I got a chuckle.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.