Can't get stubborn spots out of my barrel

brettkroeder

Here is a bore cam shot. The spots are 3-4 inches from the end of the barrel. The spots are only in a 1-2 part of the barrel.

6.5x47 Lapua. 23" AO Sendero contour barrel.
Photo on 2-5-20 at 6.43 PM.jpg

Have ran several patches of Hoppe's Copper Remover through without any luck.

I use Wipe Out and the Accelerator,,, you'll know when your doing it right when you see patches coming out of the barrel foaming... ha...

Take your time running loose patches and let it stand,,, its not harmful to the rifling...

Run a loose patch of 3:1 oil and leave it alone for a few days,,, the mix of Wipe Out/ Accelerator and 3:1 oil will loosen the crap thats stuck in there...

Using the proper size brush work the fowled areas,,, being careful do some smooth full length runs...

Small sqeeze bottles of the above will last you a life time,,, i ran tight patches at first,,, then i found out that using loose patch work and let the chemicals do there thing worked better for me...

Bore Shine is another good cleaner...

I'm no boring scientist, but it looks like metal to me-- metal that has been moved to there from somewhere else within that barrel. The shininess of it makes me think it's metal-- barrel steel to be exact. That's all I have to say because I don't know my assets from a hole in the ground about what goes on in a barrel when a bullet goes down one. Interior Ballistics was not part of the required classes for graduation in my major...

Here is a bore cam shot. The spots are 3-4 inches from the end of the barrel. The spots are only in a 1-2 part of the barrel.

6.5x47 Lapua. 23" AO Sendero contour barrel.
View attachment 174016

Have ran several patches of Hoppe's Copper Remover through without any luck.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Excellent recommendations thus far. How does she shoot? If she shoots to your satisfaction, do not worry about it until it is time for a re-barrel. Good luck!

Get some Bore Tech Eliminator it does a better job of removing copper. You can leave the product in bore to soak as long as you like.
Do this till no more color comes out.
Check with bore scope again. If it still shows spots try some IOSSO bore paste on a tight fitting patch.

Get some Bore Tech Eliminator it does a better job of removing copper. You can leave the product in bore to soak as long as you like.
Do this till no more color comes out.
Check with bore scope again. If it still shows spots try some IOSSO bore paste on a tight fitting patch.

^this, the IOSSO is great. Just remember IOSSO will turn the tight patch black even when used in a clean barrel. Be careful near the crown as well. Good luck

Those spots may not be on the metal, but in the metal. The closest spot looks exactly like etching left after the rust has been removed.
Here's a plug for my favorite copper fouling remover, KG-12 Big Bore Cleaner.

You need a better clear pic of the spots. You need a 90 degree mirror for better resolution. A straight through scope won't give you good enough detail. Shep

Looks like you scope is 'long range'......i bought the long range...went back and order the 'short range'.....
Much better pics.....
I am wondering...if this might also be a time to run some ultra fine steelwool down the barrel.....see if it will grab onto those pieces or not...if so maybe remove them with the steelwool....then re clean the barrel....

Those spots may not be on the metal, but in the metal. The closest spot looks exactly like etching left after the rust has been removed.
Here's a plug for my favorite copper fouling remover, KG-12 Big Bore Cleaner.
Unfortunately, i see the same thing. It looks like cleaned pitting. Especially with the closest spot. To my eyes , it looks like an inny, not an outly .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.