Got new life out of my Rangefinder!

KQguy

I have a Bushnell 1500 LRF,and am pretty happy with it's performance,considering it's price.Alot of times when I set up steel at extended ranges (900+ yds.),my Rangefinder won't give me a reading,espescially on bright sunny day's.So my shooting partner got some reflective tape that you see on trucks,and stuck a strip on the target,just to see if it would help.Wow!My Rangefinder picks it up from 900yds. in the sun,like it was 10yds. away!I can't wait to take it out farther,just to see what it will do.Anyone else have any tricks to get your LRF to perfrom better when target practicing?What about a mirror,wouldn't that be the ultimate in reflectivity?

Yep, I use an old licence plate at every target. Also we often shoot off the 5th wheel flat bed trailer. So when I am placing targets I range back to the very strip you are talking about on the trailer. Now, if we could just get the critters to wear a stripe of it..:D

Jeff

Geez guys..... That's something I haven't thought of. I'm supposed to be innovative.:rolleyes:

It will be fun to string out some license plates or reflective tape and see how wide the beam actually is.

Last edited:
I found the 99 cent red driveway reflectors walmart sells works great. I have an old original bushnell 800 yard range finder that will pick these up to 999 meters or yards instantly!

Now we just need to figure out how to get it on the game we are hunting. We should put phosphorescent paint of plants and make them reflective. I like it!! Seriously, good idea. Maybe I should try that. My biggest problem is trying to hold steady enough to get a good consistent reading.

Tank

University of Idaho is working on a GMO project that will produce reflective hair on animals. However the first batch froze to death last winter.:D

I you hunt the same areas the same way most times a range chart to significant land marks would serve you well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.