I got my new scope today

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by wyomingblizzard, Jan 31, 2014.

1. wyomingblizzard

wyomingblizzard Well-Known Member

I recieved my new Nightforce ATACR today! Only one problem, no rifle to put it on. I have one of Kirbys 338 ams on order, but still a couple months or more out. I am trying to get every thing ready for when the rifle is ready. My question is what hight rings will I need? At the price of nightforce rings I dont want to make a mistake. I emailed Kirby but havent heard back from him, I know he is busy so I am not worried. Getting the scope is just makeing me more excited. I am like a litle kid waiting for Christmas morning! :D

2. supercrossbmx69

supercrossbmx69 Well-Known Member

I just got my 338 raptor from Kirby this week with an ATACR on it. I ran into this problem. When I sent him my ATACR and NF 6 hole rings that were medium height it cleared the barrel but upon firing it flexed just enough to touch the barrel. So Kirby had to send them and get highs. So you'll atleast need highs. Maybe even extra highs if you want the NF scope covers to fit. There's not to much clearance with the highs and my 1.350" shank.

3. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

You are gonna have an awesome setup when everythings done. These next few months are gonna feel long. Definitely wait to hear back from kirby, im sure he'll know exactly what to use.

4. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Is it possible to send him the scope to mount when the rifle is done?

5. supercrossbmx69

supercrossbmx69 Well-Known Member

Yea I don't see why not. I sent mine a few months before it was done. He told me to get medium rings and they did not fit.

6. 1 mile

1 mile Well-Known Member

7. wyomingblizzard

I do plan on sending Kirby my scope to mount. Just trying to get every thing togather so I can send it when he is ready for it.

8. HARPERC

I'm in the same boat with my ATACR. One thing leads to another, do you have a plan for a level, or angle indicator? That's where I'm a bit hung up.

9. wyomingblizzard

I plan on useing the flatline ops folding level and angle indicator set up. I have one rifle with the level on top off ring and dont like that set up.

10. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Why do you feel you need to send the scope for mounting ? Mounting a scope isn't rocket science .

11. HARPERC

I admire those skilled enough to manage simple jobs without causing damage to the project or themselves. I'd blame loss of fine motor skills, and visual acuity, but I had issues back before those things left town.:D

Given the number of times issues with scope cant appear in threads I guess I'm not the only one.lightbulb

My gunsmith in addition to greater skills (repetition), also has better tools. (Those tight measuring thingies):rolleyes:

If he orders the wrong rings he can send them back.gun)

In my case he's also building the base.

12. wyomingblizzard

I normaly mount my own scopes. That being said, also I dont have a 34mm aligning bar. This is my first custom rifle,I want every thing perfect. I will make an aligning bar for future use.

13. HARPERC

That too!

14. wyomingblizzard

I heard back from Kirby, he said to use 1.125" rings. Kirby also said he recomends two sets of rings on the 338AM. I guess I will wait on getting a level and angle indicator untill I see how much room is left.