Busted Sightron STAC 4-20X50 & customer service

Their Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 is the best Virtex scope I've ever owned. The Razor 3 is just as clear as my March and clearer than all of my Nightforce scopes.

Once you go Razor Gen 3 it's very hard to look through any other scope. Sight picture is so huge it's unreal and the clarity is you have to see it to believe it.
Absolutely agree. My Gen 3 is freaking amazing scope. The scope got sent back as I've heard that they do a fix that truly make them elite turrets. They were good before but after they are the best turrets I have in my small arsenal of scopes. Glass easily beats my two ATACR's as well as he turrets. Actually makes the NF turrets look sad. Truly impressive. I want to get my Gen 3 out at the same time with my Sightron SVIII to compare glass. Sightron SVIII glass also beats out my NF ATACR's. It's truly impressive glass. Turrets are decent nothing that makes you say wow. They are just fine. Vortex Razor gen 3 seems to have it all. What a scope.

The dropped rifle(s)

Almost 6 decades ago, as a recruit, the class sergeant was instilling flexibility of thought & adversity preparation for a certain recruit. I did not see the event but heard the loudest parts. Lots of command barking followed by a loud clattering sound. The result was a busted M1 Garand - stock smashed in two at the pistol grip. Surprisingly, the sergeant dropped the rifle or more likely it slipped out of his hands and was thrown at the deck. Much silence, no talk, the two recruits involved were star performers and wished to maintain their standing. Poor grain flow thru grip?? That Korean war vet told stories of stomping on the operating rod to unlock overheated rifles.

After that I developed a real fear of dropping a rifle - it had never happened in almost 60 years until last week. Direct hit on floor at scope eye piece - bent tube - no repair. I had a vivid memory occurrence of the busted Garand just days before my misfortune.

I sent the scope to Sightron via USPS priority, insured mail on Nov. 24 & they received it on the 27th. Sightron called me on the 28th to inform me the scope was totaled & offered to send me a new scope for about 50% cost of new scope and would send invoice via email. I got the email & paid damage by credit card on Nov. 30. They sent me a UPS tracking number minutes after payment.

I never have totaled a scope so I cannot comment on various scope maker replacement policies.
Sightron is excellent to work with. Nothing but good to say.

Leupold repaired a Redfield Revolution for me at no charge. My buddy was using my rifle on a deer hunt and leaned it in the truck. It fell and dented the front of the scope at the front objective. I sent it back to them with a note of what happened and they fixed it and sent it back no charge. I was expecting to have to pay for at least parts, but they took care of it.

I had the exact same thing happen with a burris scope. Don't remember the exact model but fell and landed on the bell and bent the scope. They no longer made that scope so they gave me a few options of what they had that was comparable value and sent it for free. I think I had to pay to ship the damaged scope to them but that was all.

Glad they hooked you up. I personally haven't had to use Sightron's warranty yet.

Recently got denied warranty repair or replacement on an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 that was defective straight out of the box. The Illumination had issues and only one side of the reticle would Illuminate bright while the other half is noticeably dimmer and Athlon's CS Warranty manager Chuck told me since some of them are like that while others don't have this issue straight from the factory so it's not a defect if I got one of the bad ones and is not considered a warranty issue and they don't repair them nor offer any replacement if anyone experience this same Issue I have. As long as the Illumination turns on to them it works as it should regardless if the Illumination is uneven on one half of the reticle.

My other Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 doesn't have this Illumination issue and is perfect throughout the entire reticle and is absolutely beautiful when the Illumination is used aside from everything being unbelievably stiff.

For $1699.99 to $1799.99 for their top of the line Athlon Cronus BTR scopes, pray you get a good one because Athlon won't replace it if you get one of their bad ones with defective illuminated reticles.

I have first hand experience with oneof each good and bad and first time warranty denied because they don't consider it defective if it at least turns on regardless if it looks like hell.

Actually second time because the 2 Argos 6-24x50 scopes with terrible image quality I had bought they said was normal like looking through waxed paper on high magnification.

Should have switched to VORTEX a long time ago at least they won't screw you over if you have any issues with their products.
I like seeing company names to avoid, appreciate that. Big name high end rangefinder companies are going to have to rethink the warranty game too, 6 month warranties on expensive items isn't cutting it.

Absolutely agree. My Gen 3 is freaking amazing scope. The scope got sent back as I've heard that they do a fix that truly make them elite turrets. They were good before but after they are the best turrets I have in my small arsenal of scopes. Glass easily beats my two ATACR's as well as he turrets. Actually makes the NF turrets look sad. Truly impressive. I want to get my Gen 3 out at the same time with my Sightron SVIII to compare glass. Sightron SVIII glass also beats out my NF ATACR's. It's truly impressive glass. Turrets are decent nothing that makes you say wow. They are just fine. Vortex Razor gen 3 seems to have it all. What a scope.
For me, the amount of returned scopes in the Vortex line for warranty is to many. A great warranty is something I don't want to use, but great to know it's available. But Vortex, you better hang onto the box, cuz you're gonna be using it again at some point.
Having a scope failure in the fall is a big deal when you are on a limited budget in these difficult days, haven't a spare and scope will be out for warranty for most of hunting season. I have rolled down a scree slope with my Burris, spent weeks in the snow and rain, and it's seen some tough mountain horse use, but works like day one which was about 16 years ago. Minus lens scratches. I prefer a scope with a warranty that protects my investment, but my expectation is that you build a product that can withstand the environment the item was built for. I never want to use it.
After all, that is how warranties came about!
"We build our products so tough and reliable, heck, if it ever fails we will replace it for free!" Vortex needs to get that first part figured.

For me, the amount of returned scopes in the Vortex line for warranty is to many. A great warranty is something I don't want to use, but great to know it's available. But Vortex, you better hang onto the box, cuz you're gonna be using it again at some point.
Having a scope failure in the fall is a big deal when you are on a limited budget in these difficult days, haven't a spare and scope will be out for warranty for most of hunting season. I have rolled down a scree slope with my Burris, spent weeks in the snow and rain, and it's seen some tough mountain horse use, but works like day one which was about 16 years ago. Minus lens scratches. I prefer a scope with a warranty that protects my investment, but my expectation is that you build a product that can withstand the environment the item was built for. I never want to use it.
"We build our products so tough and reliable, heck, if it ever fails we will replace it for free!" Vortex needs to get that first part figured.
I still love my Vortex and is still perfect in every way. Can it break yup I guess just like my 2 ATACR'S can. But yeah I know they are Uber durable. They are fantastic for sure. But glass and turrets are just much better in my Razor Gen 3. But truth be told it sits on my RimX 22lr the was built by Kenny at desert precision gunworks. It may not be in the hunting fields but range and maybe some NRL22 stuff.

For true hunting I love my NF's great compromise of everything needed. Love them

I had an older Sightron mid-range scope that no longer held zero. I sent it in to Sightron on their nickel. They confirmed the problem. Since they no longer made that model, they replaced it with a top-line model. Very surprised. Couldn't be happier.

Sent my Sig 2400 ABS rangefinder back to mfg. in October 2023. It wouldn't range targets out beyond 400 yds in the bright AZ sunlight. Sig confirmed the problem and offered to replace the unit with their newer Kilo8K model. Again, very surprised and happy.

I tend to only buy the higher end Japan made Vortex optics with zero issues so far. I've had issues with their cheaper made in China products even defective straight out of their boxes so I strictly only like to buy their made in Japan stuff now days.

Recent Posts