Bullet puller? What do you have?

Hornady Cam Loct is the best I have used. I have had numerous kinetic pullers, and several std collet pullers. Hornady is the best by far as it uses a cam to apply force to the inside collet.

I have read about collet/die, inertia/hammer style and the Grip-N-Pull style.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve
I use the rcbs puller....other brands work just as well. I put a piece of dense foam inside bottom to protect bullet point

I use a collet/die puller. I havent had it cause any problems with deforming or even marring the bullets. I also have the inertia type and even though it works, it leaves a mess with powder all over.

I use the Hornady collet puller works great and if done right won't leave much of a mark

I ended up putting a cotton ball in the end as well. Just couldn't stand the mess with powder.
I use a couple of patches in the tip and pour the powder and bullet into a square shaped Tupperware (no powder mess) and usually salvage 98% of the powder.
Bullets are reused and often the primers.
Cold welds on older ammo can be a problem. Seating deeper before disassembly helps but can "ring" the ogive....i still reuse them.

I use the Hornady collet puller as well. Never had anything else and never wished I had a different tool. If you really lock it down hard you can put some pretty serious marks on a bullet (happened some early in the process) but now I tend to have a feel for how much grip I need so I screw down the die to where I need it and hold the cam with appropriate pressure in left land while retracting the ram/shell with the other and there's barely a mark on the bullet. If you just shove it in and lock down the cam you CAN deform the bullet, but as with anything reloading related, knowing your tools well helps make things go smoothly. One note, I've used my .270 collet for .257 bullets, so don't assume you have to get collets for every single bullet diameter you have. .458 would easily work for .452 as well, just screw the handle piece (in the case of the Hornady) down a bit extra.

I had a kinetic puller and hated it as well. I finally settled on the Forster collet puller. The Forster design causes the petals of the collet to grip tighter as the downward force on the bullet increases. Most of the other collet manufacturers haven't figured this out...

Grip-N-Pull is what I prefer to use. Tried a kinetic hammer and hated it - spilled powder, deformed bullet tips. Not very fun, especially if you have quite a few rounds to pull.
I myself use the RCBS collet style bullet puller,and this is my reasoning. After looking at the Horandy and comparing it to the RCBS, and other collet style bullet pullers the RCBS collets are much more robust and the fingers have a lot of webbing on them to support cartridge cases without causing either the fingers to spring out or worse even break off. If you do a side by side comparison you will see what I'm talking about. The RCBS for my money is a clear winner here and certainly makes pulling bullets a lot easier, safer and cleaner. I myself am not a big fan of the grip and pull styles on the market. One simple twist and the job is done ! OBTW please forget about the inertia style of bullet pullers as they are just a P.I.A. to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.