What do you do....

Joshm28

When there is no way in hell you can seat a bullet out far enough to reach the lands? I have a Sig SHR970 in 300wm that I'm trying to load for. Using the 200g ELDX bullets and R22 powder. I'm limited by mag length and having issues dialing in the load. Thinking of switching to h1000 powder.

I've been reloading for a while for .300wm, 7mag, 7.62x54r and 6.5/284. I built the 6.5 on a long action so I have no issues with that gun and it shoots 1/2moa or better when I do my part. I've been able to load an extremely accurate load for a buddy's 300 with 168g bergers. My 300 is giving me fits though.

When there is no way in hell you can seat a bullet out far enough to reach the lands? I have a Sig SHR970 in 300wm that I'm trying to load for. Using the 200g ELDX bullets and R22 powder. I'm limited by mag length and having issues dialing in the load. Thinking of switching to h1000 powder.

I've been reloading for a while for .300wm, 7mag, 7.62x54r and 6.5/284. I built the 6.5 on a long action so I have no issues with that gun and it shoots 1/2moa or better when I do my part. I've been able to load an extremely accurate load for a buddy's 300 with 168g bergers. My 300 is giving me fits though.

Simple. It works. Found my jump 0.127 off the lands

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD Bullets in Your Rifle | Berger Bullets Blog

I have four rifles I load single shot...
Never thought I was ever handicapped by doing so.
I three of them are magazine rifles, I don't thing I ever loaded the mags as long as I have had them..

I run a lot of gas guns and load them all mag length it does sometimes take more fooling around with load development trying different bullets and powders but it can be done no problem, that Berger seating depth testing works very well also.

Another solution is to use a Berger Hybrid. They really are seating depth insensitive. Typically all that is required is to seat bullet to fit and feed from magazine and work up a load. I have used them in quite a few rifles for my friends and myself and haven't found a need to change seating depth on any of them.

the ones I can remember:

Two 6mm-284 105 berger hybrid target and 95 classic hunter hybrid
Two 7 rem mag 168 classic hunter
Three 300 RUM 230 hybrid target
Three 300 win mag 215 hybrid target
30 BR 168 hybrid target
308 168 hybrid target and 215 hybrid target
338 RCM 300 gr hybrid OTM Tactical

Another solution is to use a Berger Hybrid. They really are seating depth insensitive. Typically all that is required is to seat bullet to fit and feed from magazine and work up a load. I have used them in quite a few rifles for my friends and myself and haven't found a need to change seating depth on any of them.

the ones I can remember:

Two 6mm-284 105 berger hybrid target and 95 classic hunter hybrid
Two 7 rem mag 168 classic hunter
Three 300 RUM 230 hybrid target
Three 300 win mag 215 hybrid target
30 BR 168 hybrid target
308 168 hybrid target and 215 hybrid target
338 RCM 300 gr hybrid OTM Tactical

I agree. I have switched from the VLD hunting to the hybrid hunting. They still have a sweet spot for seating depth though. I find most any seating depth with them will get you sub moa with a good rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.