What is it? Bullet puller

West Calamus

Was thinking of buying a impact hammer to pull some bullets but was told they were a real pain. Same day I ran across this tool in one of my Dad's old tool boxes. Scratched my noggin and said "might work". The tool worked just fine with only having to turn the handle one half turn from clamping to releasing the bullet. Did run the loaded cartridge though a slightly turned down seating die to break a little neck tension first. Only markings on tool is "NO.1/4-1/2L.M.". Question is: Do any of you ald timers know what this tool was designed to do or what purpose it was used for?
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862 1.JPG

Yes, but tap handles usually have a squarish opening. Cause the tap is squared at the top. Or at least mine does. I wonder if it was a drill bit or file holder???

Anyhow. It worked.....

Forster makes one with a similar concept. Has custom collect for each size bullet and probably doesn't damage the bullet..... Costs a fortune to own all the collets....

Often called a pin vise, come in many different sizes.
Have tiny one's for doing by-pass holes in carbies, they hold drill bits.

Cheers.

Yes, but tap handles usually have a squarish opening. Cause the tap is squared at the top. Or at least mine does. I wonder if it was a drill bit or file holder???

Anyhow. It worked.....

Forster makes one with a similar concept. Has custom collect for each size bullet and probably doesn't damage the bullet..... Costs a fortune to own all the collets....
It's made like a tap holder but I don't think it is. I have two or three tap holders and as described above they have squarish jaws in the collet.

There's a s use of a tap wrench I never would have thought of.
A useful adaptation, nonetheless.
Are you the kind of guy who often put round pegs into square holes?

Thx gentlemen for the replies to my Rube Goldberg bullet puller. I must admit I felt a little stupid when it was pointed out that it was a tap handle. My only defense was that I got by the last 30 years with a small crescent on my accumulated taps and easy outs. Every try to run straight threads with a Crescent. So the bright side is I have a handle now for my larger taps. Yes the jaws are a bit squarish but you still have 8 points of contact. Had to get the feel for how much pressure to apply, to much and damaged the jacket, just right amount of pressure and not even a blemish. Y'all be safe out there...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.