Bullet puller? What do you have?

I use the rcbs puller with collets. I also have the hammer to but use it for pistol bullets only. also if you have a high primer with the hammer hang on and wear ear protection

I have both, but the short answer is-
I use the hammer style if I only have a couple bullets to pull. But if I have a lot of bullets to pull I use the rcbs bullet puller. The only bad thing about the RCBS bullet puller is that you have to have the collets it inside for each caliber unlike the hammer style the hammer works for all just about buying all the different collets can add up.

I have an idle T-7 mounted on a bench, a Hornady collet puller has a permanent home, even for 1 rd it is easier than a hammer. Across the circle sits a decap die.

I started with a kinetic puller and ended up stuffing a cotton ball in the end to protect bullet tips as others have done. This works well but contaminates the powder; after pulling bullets from multiple calibers you end up with different types of powder stuck to the cotton. As others have noted, using the kinetic puller is SLOW. Some rounds, such as .45 ACP with LSWC bullets, are particularly difficult to get in the kinetic puller.

Despite all that I still have a kinetic puller and use it to pull the odd bullet now and then because it's faster than setting up my collet type puller to pull a bullet from one round with a bad primer.

The collet puller is great if you have to remove multiple bullets of the same caliber as sometimes happens during load development. It's perfect for long rifle bullets, though it sometimes mars the jacket on a heavily crimped round.

The collet puller is unusable with rounds on which little of the bearing surface is exposed (e.g., .45 ACP LSWC), so I'm glad I have the option of using either.

The Grip-N-Pull device seems like it could replace the collet puller but looks like it may be tough on the hands and it's significantly more expensive than, say, a Hornady Cam-Lock collet puller. This is especially true if you don't shoot every caliber covered by a particular Grip-N-Pull model. I can't see the Grip-N-Pull replacing my kinetic puller for removing LSWC bullets from .45 ACP for the same reason the collet puller doesn't work on them - inability to grab the bearing surface.

I have read about collet/die, inertia/hammer style and the Grip-N-Pull style.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve
Inertia hammer works well... have the Lyman

Reviews are all over the place on this I guess. I'm thinking I am going to go with collet style.
You will be happy, having a hammer too is never a bad idea, as one said, individual collets cost money.
I can pull a tray of 50 rds in under 8 min if need be with my Hornady. I got roped into pulling 450-6 creed loads for a friend, I washed my media separator, just dumped the powdered brass in, a couple spins and recovered all the powder used, way over 2lbs of powder.

I have and have used all three, but I prefer the Grip-N-Pull as it easier to set up use and, in my opinion just as effective.

I have read about collet/die, inertia/hammer style and the Grip-N-Pull style.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks

Steve
i have both collet and Rcbs kinetic pullers. Hornady collets a lot more reliable efficient than the kinetic puller from my experience

I learned a trick from an old reloader. I use a good set of wire cutters. Lightly grip the bullet and depress the ram. Works like a charm and leave minimal marks on the jacket if u are careful. Doesn't work for pistol as the ram will not get the bullet up to where u can reach it. Using RCBS single stage

Grip-N-Pull is what I prefer to use. Tried a kinetic hammer and hated it - spilled powder, deformed bullet tips. Not very fun, especially if you have quite a few rounds to pull.
Absolutely my experience. The hammer thing is so dumb I'll give you mine. I'll probably throw it away.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.