Brass & Primers

luke5678

What brand of brass and primers are most guys using. Say for a .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win. mag?

Thanks

What brand of brass and primers are most guys using. Say for a .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win. mag?

Thanks

I don't load for 30-06, but I think Lapua makes brass for it so that is probably going to be the best you can get in that caliber. I do however load for the 2 others you mentioned. For the 7mm I currently use Nosler brass and have had good luck with it so far. It requires very little prep work before you load it, and it is very consistent. The only complaint I have heard about it from some is that it may be slightly softer than other brass and primer pockets loosen up as a result. I have some on its 4th loading and haven't experienced this yet. For the 300 I use Winchester brass. It is good brass but requires significant prep. I would say that I probably cull about 10% of cases due to severe neck deformity, but once it is prepped it is pretty good brass. I am considering trying to find some RWS brass for the 300, I have heard good things about it. As a general rule, I use the best brass that I can consistently get.

Thanks

RWS, Lapua, and Norma make the best brass but it is far more expensive. There is nothing wrong with RP and WW, but as was previously mentioned, it will need to be sorted and preped if you want good consistency. As far as primers go, I prefer Federal match, 210 or 215 depending on application. These are becoming very difficult to get because of military contracts. I also like CCI BR2 for my standard case rifles.........Rich

For 7mm Rem Mag, I bought 2x boxes of Nosler Custom Brass and the TIR was >.005 at the shoulder on a large chunk of them even after resizing (which you basically shouldn't have to do with that brass).

So, I complained and they didn't bat an eye and replaced both boxes. ...then, I realized my T-Mag was not helping and got a Forster co-ax press and life is good. ...My bad! :cool: But, kudos to Nosler for customer service.

I later discovered Norma makes 7mm RM brass and I've found it to be the best.

RP and the others go "bang" as well. But, #1 Lapua and #2 Norma seem to form better in the dies, with less runout, more even neck tension, and seemingly longer life. JMHO

I like Fed GM215M for the magnums and CCI BR2 for plain large rifle.

Happy hunting!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.