Primers!

RockyRandy

Primers are one thing I haven't seen come back on the shelf at any of your retail stores. I have my load worked up from my 6.5 Creed. using Federal Gold metal large 210's This brings me to my big question how much of a difference is there from fed 210 verses regular fed's 210's.

Also I'm have a 22 creed build and in the possess of finding brass I have about 300 rds. of both large and 300 rds. of small rifle primers cases, what is your experiences between the two and why do you prefer large primer pocket over small primer pocket or do you see any difference at all?

I have very accurate loads using regular Fed LR primers. My guess is you won't see much difference between the two. Question number 2. Can't tell any difference between Small rifle primers and large in that size case. I've shot booth.308 and 6.5 CM using each. No difference! Same speed, same POI. I used small rifle magnum primers though. But I've read others used plain SR primers with no issue. I'm seeing SRM primers for sell often.

In my 6 creed using H4350 the SRP (CCI 450) does show more velocity drop in temps below freezing than it does with LRP (F210M). Something to keep in mind.

F210M vs F210 depends more on your particular load. I have loads that shoot better with standard CCI 200 than F210M. Won't know until you try it.

Last edited:
With all the disission on primers. I generally use Fed 210's. I have some match primers, but I didn't pay much attention to them at that time. Didn't see much gains if any. I will pay a lot closer attention to this time around.
What I wondering is, where and the hell is Fed Large Rifles, and others manufactures LRP too. They gave SRP out and available from several manufactures, but not large rifle primes. I look every day and most of the time twice each day. Or the Price is 4x to high. Powders are coming back now. I have primers, but would like a larger selection to see if a different primer would work better in load workup and makeup. So to Say, You're stuck in the mud. While in Vietnam, I've seen use in one unit suck up 450,000 round in short day or a long afternoon. This went on weekly almost. That was just one unit. There was 500,000 men there at that time. Still had componement at that time here in the USA for reloading. We alos had a 500,000 troops there. Large than any we have done from that time going forward. So what's up?
There isn't that much warfair going in this world to suck up all the large rifle primers. I see outside this county manufacturies showing up with primers. Why can't Fed, Win, CCI, Rem, and other show up with primers. Kind of like Nosler and their bullets. Seem like only their long range bullets are available, but not much else. They have been building B.T. and AB bullets for years, and now they have stop making most of them.
Hammer bullets is going to leave them behind, if they don't S**T and get off the pot. There is far more rifles out there is slower twist rates than the faster twist rated needed to use all copper bullet.
So I am wonder why these manufactures are running around with their heads cut off like a chicken. They can't keep anythng in stock. or are they suppressing the sale to keep the prices up. Something is up? They have triple or 4x the cost of primers presently.

In my 6 creed the SRP (CCI 450) does show more velocity drop in temps below freezing than it does with LRP (F210M). Something to keep in mind.

F210M vs F210 depends more on your particular load. I have loads that shoot better with standard CCI 200 than F210M. Won't know until you try it.
I wonder what type of powder are you using? Temp can play a large part in velocity with some powders with temperature changes. It can be as much as 120fps differents and more.

I use small rifle primers because they are more available in LGS', in my 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor but avoid using ball powders with CCI 450's & CCI 41's. I have had good results with Rem 7 1/2's with most powders in the Creedmoor's.

The Rem 7 1/2's appear to have more energy than CCI 450;s & other small rifle primers.

Table 1

I use small rifle primers because they are more available in LGS', in my 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor but avoid using ball powders with CCI 450's & CCI 41's. I have had good results with Rem 7 1/2's with most powders in the Creedmoor's.

The Rem 7 1/2's appear to have more energy than CCI 450;s & other small rifle primers.

Thanks, I got it downloaded. I will read it too. There seem to be a fair amount of SRP out there, LRP are not.

From there it goes to synthesizing nitrocellulose from cotton soaked in nitric acid, dried, slice up into appropriate size kernels, then tossed in graphite in the safety of one's basement 😁.

Smokeless powder. Trial and error to determine burn rate. What could go wrong?

Then going back to just casting our own bullets or, if we have the means, lathe turning our own copper projectiles or swaging jackets.

Of course, you really don't wanna depend on "big brass" and "big copper" as they're pricey and probably corrupted by the left 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A fellow really needs to mine his own copper and zinc if he wants to be serious about independence and being armed come hell or high water.

And then you need a sufficiently hot furnace to refine and smelt the copper….

From there it goes to synthesizing nitrocellulose from cotton soaked in nitric acid, dried, slice up into appropriate size kernels, then tossed in graphite in the safety of one's basement 😁.

Smokeless powder. Trial and error to determine burn rate. What could go wrong?

Then going back to just casting our own bullets or, if we have the means, lathe turning our own copper projectiles or swaging jackets.

Of course, you really don't wanna depend on "big brass" and "big copper" as they're pricey and probably corrupted by the left 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A fellow really needs to mine his own copper and zinc if he wants to be serious about independence and being armed come hell or high water.

And then you need a sufficiently hot furnace to refine and smelt the copper….
Kinda wonder why no ones made a tiny disposable bushing , to sub SRP for LRP, keeping things movin in a shortage. Maybe a penny each.

With all the disission on primers. I generally use Fed 210's. I have some match primers, but I didn't pay much attention to them at that time. Didn't see much gains if any. I will pay a lot closer attention to this time around.
What I wondering is, where and the hell is Fed Large Rifles, and others manufactures LRP too. They gave SRP out and available from several manufactures, but not large rifle primes. I look every day and most of the time twice each day. Or the Price is 4x to high. Powders are coming back now. I have primers, but would like a larger selection to see if a different primer would work better in load workup and makeup. So to Say, You're stuck in the mud. While in Vietnam, I've seen use in one unit suck up 450,000 round in short day or a long afternoon. This went on weekly almost. That was just one unit. There was 500,000 men there at that time. Still had componement at that time here in the USA for reloading. We alos had a 500,000 troops there. Large than any we have done from that time going forward. So what's up?
There isn't that much warfair going in this world to suck up all the large rifle primers. I see outside this county manufacturies showing up with primers. Why can't Fed, Win, CCI, Rem, and other show up with primers. Kind of like Nosler and their bullets. Seem like only their long range bullets are available, but not much else. They have been building B.T. and AB bullets for years, and now they have stop making most of them.
Hammer bullets is going to leave them behind, if they don't S**T and get off the pot. There is far more rifles out there is slower twist rates than the faster twist rated needed to use all copper bullet.
So I am wonder why these manufactures are running around with their heads cut off like a chicken. They can't keep anythng in stock. or are they suppressing the sale to keep the prices up. Something is up? They have triple or 4x the cost of primers presently.
Greed, pure and simple Greed!