Primers!

I responded to this on another thread; we had shortages during the first Gulf War and OEF/OIF.
I don't really remember that time being short on componments during the Vietnam conflict. The use of ammo by Ukraine is less that half or what was being use in Iraq and Afghan. So the number don't comput. In Vietnam we field a half a million men. We burn a lot of ammo then. I didn't feel shortages in reloading supplies before or after coming back from Vietnam. I have seen shortages over the years. Today time frame the producing of primers, powder should be a lot faster that years gone by or they are not updating the equipment.

I haven't done any of that and still here too. 61yrs for reloading. I've been reading about it here for sometime now.
I had a static discharge when working with powder on a friend's bench many many years ago. It was real dry, RH about 22% inside his garage, February in North Dakota. We were charging 12ga shot shells. Luckily, we were almost done with about 2 shells left to go. 1 scoop of powder decided to go poof! Scared the !@#$% out of us both! Took a break and changed my shorts. Lessons learned. Decided to build a static control right then. Still use a similar system today. Just a little insurance for me and mine.

I had a static discharge when working with powder on a friend's bench many many years ago. It was real dry, RH about 22% inside his garage, February in North Dakota. We were charging 12ga shot shells. Luckily, we were almost done with about 2 shells left to go. 1 scoop of powder decided to go poof! Scared the !@#$% out of us both! Took a break and changed my shorts. Lessons learned. Decided to build a static control right then. Still use a similar system today. Just a little insurance for me and mine.
Mind sharing what your static control routine is? Or did I miss it?
My apologies, if that's the case.

Mind sharing what your static control routine is? Or did I miss it?
My apologies, if that's the case.
No problem. Cost about $20.00 all in (in 1971). Now about $50. I used a 5/8 copper grounding rod, driven in the ground outside next to my workshop. Used a ground clamp to attach a length of 8ga (green plastic) copper stranded wire to the ground rod. Routed the wire inside to the corner of my reloading bench. Mounted an 8 foot length of solid 1/4 inch copper rod to the bottom of a shelf just above the bench. (My bench is 8 feet long). Connected the green 8ga ground wire to the 1/4 copper rod with a ground clamp. It was a straightforward easy install. Also, I made a short ground wire attached from the 1/4 rod to the base of the press with a removable alligator clip jumper connected to the primer tube when needed. When I reload, I use a ground harness (It has a clip on one end and a wrist band connector on the other. Available at electrical supply or Amazon) to connect to the 1/4 copper rod and the other end to my wrist or arm. The idea is to have me, the press, and the primer tube connected to the ground system. Anytime I'm using powder or primers, I connect it up to me. It works and I don't have any static issues at all. Been using this for almost 50 years. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
No problem. Cost about $20.00 all in (in 1971). Now about $50. I used a 5/8 copper grounding rod, driven in the ground outside next to my workshop. Used a ground clamp to attach a length of 8ga (green plastic) copper stranded wire to the ground rod. Routed the wire inside to the corner of my reloading bench. Mounted an 8 foot length of solid 1/4 inch copper rod to the bottom of a shelf just above the bench. (My bench is 8 feet long). Connected the green 8ga ground wire to the 1/4 copper rod with a ground clamp. It was a straightforward easy install. Also, I made a short ground wire attached from the 1/4 rod to the base of the press with a removable alligator clip jumper connected to the primer tube when needed. When I reload, I use a ground harness (It has a clip on one end and a wrist band connector on the other. Available at electrical supply or Amazon) to connect to the 1/4 copper rod and the other end to my wrist or arm. The idea is to have me, the press, and the primer tube connected to the ground system. Anytime I'm using powder or primers, I connect it up to me. It works and I don't have any static issues at all. Been using this for almost 50 years. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.

That is my opinion they are using so much the rock components let alone just the primers themselves the US manufacturers and the Eastern European manufacturers can't keep up with the demand in the Ukraine so where do you think all the primers are going you're not going to see him in the secondary market they sure it's not going to be making mag rifle primers cuz it's not a NATO standard same thing with Magnum pistol primers
Think back a bit. The primer shortage was a thing WAY before the Russia/Ukraine conflict.