Primers!

Primers - decades ago I periodically visited, as part of my job duties - "The Denver Ordnance Plant in Lakewood produced ammunition during World War II. The plant was the largest federal project in Colorado history before its conversion into the Federal Center, which today houses dozens of government agencies."

Upon walking thru the huge building, I noticed that there were no long continuous hallways between individual spaces. Somebody patiently explaned to me that this was designed to contain blast energy in the event of an explosion. The explosive used in primers is lead styphnate and other chemicals - enough energy to make for a big blast if enough of this stuff exploded.

I was then told that a plant employee was cleaning up a bunch of culled primers and placed them in a bucket. One of the tiny primers exploded for some unknown reason, possibly static electricity or concussion. This caused a massive chain reaction resulting in death.

I keep my primers separated from gun powder. I have no plans for making primers. A 10K primer limit is usually mandated by various governments, like RCW 70.74.350. I will never use a tube fed priming tool. Squeeze type priming tools have a barrier between the primer being seated and the primer container to prevent a chain reaction. Hopefully, OSHA will not make primer manufacturing in the US economically impossible. My shooting expectations would be negated if all I had was a flintlock rifle.
Practicing good safety while handling primers is paramount no matter what method you use to load them. Take note here. Not too long back, there was a post here about a guy that had a primer stack in a tube detonate causing him injuries and bench damage. Years ago, I setup a grounding system using copper rods, wire, and connecting it to a copper grounding rod driven into the ground outside. I clip a static wrist band to me and clip the other end to the primer tube and press. Similar setup to what you use in handling computer or electronic assemblies. It cost me less than $50.00 all in and provides me with a measure of safety and piece of mind. I've been using this for over 20 years now and I'm still here. Thank God. Stay safe and have fun.

To get back to OP's thoughts, IMO the incredible increase in new gun owners AND new reloaders AND the "capitalist" on Gunbroker and CTD have placed ENORMOUS demands on primer production. We kind of had the "run" before all heck broke loose several YEARS AGO. It will NEVER be back to "old days" at <$40/brick. Nor will there will unfettered access to the specific primer that floats your boat. This is the NEW reality and blaming whoever whatever will NOT change what our reality is going forward. The lack of primers is extremely complicated for all the reasons above and more. If you need a primer size and can buy it though not your favorite you better buy what you need. I have seen Remington primers somewhat readily available and am using fireforming and other loads and shoot fine.

The good old days are GONE and will never return. I have done my share of whining, conspiracy theories, and come to realize this is the new normal going forward so suck it up and just buy as I need. Yes it sucks and no it ain't gonna change.

To get back to OP's thoughts, IMO the incredible increase in new gun owners AND new reloaders AND the "capitalist" on Gunbroker and CTD have placed ENORMOUS demands on primer production. We kind of had the "run" before all heck broke loose several YEARS AGO. It will NEVER be back to "old days" at <$40/brick. Nor will there will unfettered access to the specific primer that floats your boat. This is the NEW reality and blaming whoever whatever will NOT change what our reality is going forward. The lack of primers is extremely complicated for all the reasons above and more. If you need a primer size and can buy it though not your favorite you better buy what you need. I have seen Remington primers somewhat readily available and am using fireforming and other loads and shoot fine.

The good old days are GONE and will never return. I have done my share of whining, conspiracy theories, and come to realize this is the new normal going forward so suck it up and just buy as I need. Yes it sucks and no it ain't gonna change.
As much as I would like to complain here, I can't. Your thoughts are on point. Let's hear it for the new "norm". BOO!

When I average the newly purchased primers with older 1's it's still not that bad. Makes my 3-4 cents per about 7-8 cents per due to hazmat and shipping costing more making the average go up by 1.5-2 cents per. Small primers are still a decent price (could always be worse to non-existent), but large of any variety can be difficult to find. The lowest I've seen large rifle primers is around 8 cents and br to match at 10 +. I'm done with buying rifle primers for now, but still might buy some pistol in small and large. I have 3 cartridges that use small, 2 using large and 2 I use large mag primers. Maybe a 4th if and when I might start reloading 5.7x28's. With a decent amount of factory ammo on hand (rifle, pistol and shotgun) I can delay most cartridges on reloading. Trying to acquire more powder for now, but needing to find out which powders I need (for best per cartridge). 10 guns in the same cartridge that might like and/or dislike enough powders that might require a variety could be am issue.

I use small rifle primers because they are more available in LGS', in my 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor but avoid using ball powders with CCI 450's & CCI 41's. I have had good results with Rem 7 1/2's with most powders in the Creedmoor's.

The Rem 7 1/2's appear to have more energy than CCI 450;s & other small rifle primers.

Table 1

Thanks for the info.

I have very accurate loads using regular Fed LR primers. My guess is you won't see much difference between the two. Question number 2. Can't tell any difference between Small rifle primers and large in that size case. I've shot booth.308 and 6.5 CM using each. No difference! Same speed, same POI. I used small rifle magnum primers though. But I've read others used plain SR primers with no issue. I'm seeing SRM primers for sell often.
Thanks for replying back.