Brake Question?

slickyboyboo

Im in the process of building a fairly lightweight rifle as strictly a toting around hunting rifle. 6.5x47L, Bighorn Origin, Proof CF barrel, AG Composites Stock (leaning heavily this way, but not 100% yet), so it should be light. So my question is, would you put a brake on a dedicated lightweight hunting rifle? I've never had one on any rifle before, and just wondering how the lightweight would affect shot accuracy, follow up shot if needed, and also sound from the brake concerns me.

Im in the process of building a fairly lightweight rifle as strictly a toting around hunting rifle. 6.5x47L, Bighorn Origin, Proof CF barrel, AG Composites Stock (leaning heavily this way, but not 100% yet), so it should be light. So my question is, would you put a brake on a dedicated lightweight hunting rifle? I've never had one on any rifle before, and just wondering how the lightweight would affect shot accuracy, follow up shot if needed, and also sound from the brake concerns me.
I wouldnt put a brake on that - you'll develop more of a flinch from the muzzle brake noise than you will from the light recoil of the 6.5x47.

I have brakes on both of my 6.5x47's. My RBros comes in at about 14 lbs. my lighter weight finished right at 8 lbs. Heck I got a three port from MBM for my latest build a 6 Dasher! I'd recommend a thread protector so you can hunt with the brake off if you chose to do so.

If you don't/won't wear herring protection while hunting I would not recommend a brake. Keep in mind that you should wear hearing protection while using any fire arm to protect your ears. The DB levels are the same with or without a brake, the brake directs the sound differently but it does the same damage to your ears.

A brake will definitely make follow shots easier and reduce recoil to help flinch. I have installed many on 223's for this reason.

J E CUSTOM

If you don't/won't wear herring protection while hunting I would not recommend a brake. Keep in mind that you should wear hearing protection while using any fire arm to protect your ears. The DB levels are the same with or without a brake, the brake directs the sound differently but it does the same damage to your ears.

A brake will definitely make follow shots easier and reduce recoil to help flinch. I have installed many on 223's for this reason.

J E CUSTOM
There are studies that show a muzzle brake increases the db level anywhere from 2-9 dbs for a shooter behind the rifle depending on the brake due to the redirection of the muzzle blast. The damage to your hearing can definitely be worse if you use a muzzle brake.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/muzzle-brakes-sound-test.23590/

I probably wouldn't bother with a brake on a lightweight/compact hunter in 6.5x47, especially if you were a proficient shooter, and conditioned to recoil. Why add the extra 2" and fuss with cleaning the brake. I do have brakes on my heavy PRS rifles chambered in 6.5x47, mostly for controlling muzzle lift for determining hits with long strings at long range under time restraints.

A good friend calls brakes "Loudenators" and another friend won't shoot near me with one installed.

I pondered one for my economy ULHR build (6.2 lbs scoped & slung) and decided against it. Since then I've been taking brakes OFF rifles and not missing them.

My two sons both shoot Weatherby magnums. One has a .300 and the other
has a .340. Both have brakes. Both are a pleasure to shoot. When they shoot
across a bench they wear ear protection. When they hunt they usually only
have to take one shot. Both those calibers have excellent killing power.
I shoot a custom .338 and I don't even have a recoil pad on my rifle or
a brake. The stock is shaped so well that the recoil doesn't bother me.
Zeke

Buy a T-2 or T-3 terminator muzzle brake.
It will make that gun kick less than a.243.
The choice between the 2 can be determined by the size of your barrel at the muzzle. If it is a proof research carbon it should be relatively fat at the muzzle. Look up the brake and c which one will blend better to your barrel contour.
I have a T-3 on a 338 edge and 338 Lapua. Kicks less than a 308. My edge only weighs 8lbs. My wife shoots it. Lightweight doesn't translate to inaccurate if the gun is bulit with quality components. The brake will make it loud. Buy some electronic sound cancelling ear muffs and you will be very happy .
Get a good guailty single stage trigger such as timmney or Jewel and set it at about 2-2.5 lbs. This will greatly increase accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.