Muzzle brake question

Mauser34

Hello everyone,

I have a muzzle brake on my .270 and I would like to us it on my 300 win mag for my budget rifle. If I have the brake opened up for .308 will it effect the proformance for my .270?

A brake should be about 0.020" bigger than the bullet going through it so for a 30 cal the hole diameter should be about 0.328" versus what it is now at ~ 0.297". I'd guess you would lose about 30% of the benefit but it would not be completely worthless. I've run a 270 WSM brake on a 26 Nosler and it worked decent but that was not as big a jump as you are talking about.

Ok, do you know any good brakes for a reasonable price? I am using a Shrewd brake on my .270 and its working pretty well. The rifle i am going to put the brake on is a factory win m70 with a factory contour barrel (.590 muzzle diameter).

Hello everyone,

I have a muzzle brake on my .270 and I would like to us it on my 300 win mag for my budget rifle. If I have the brake opened up for .308 will it effect the proformance for my .270?

Keep it simple and do it right the first time. Have dedicated MBs for each rifle with different exit diameters.

Keep it simple and do it right the first time. Have dedicated MBs for each rifle with different exit diameters.

+1

Many gunsmiths will have some "stock" brakes they keep on hand. If you need the barrel threaded anyway call your smith and see what he recommends for an effective (but reasonably priced) brake.

Mauser34

I have several Center Shot Rifle brakes among others. They are a wee bit over $100 and work well. Test data backs that up. They are in fact one of the better performing brakes. I have a 4 port on a 300 RUM and it really takes the recoil down to very little.

Mauser34

I have several Center Shot Rifle brakes among others. They are a wee bit over $100 and work well. Test data backs that up. They are in fact one of the better performing brakes. I have a 4 port on a 300 RUM and it really takes the recoil down to very little.

They have nice brakes but they don't have any that fit my muzzel diameter(.590).

I have a Shrewd brake on my .270 and i was thinking about putting it on my .300 win mag because it seems to do a pretty good job on the .270 and i can get one for 40 dollars shipped. I don't want an expensive brake because I plan to build this rifle in 2-4 years. I just want to have some fun shooting it now.

I have a Shrewd brake on my .270 and i was thinking about putting it on my .300 win mag because it seems to do a pretty good job on the .270 and i can get one for 40 dollars shipped. I don't want an expensive brake because I plan to build this rifle in 2-4 years. I just want to have some fun shooting it now.

Not a fan of radial MBs like Shrewd. If you're looking for MBs in the Shrewd price range, I'd go with Ross Schuler (ROSS SCHULERS PAGE)/ Nathan's (http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Home_Page.php) or Harrel's tactical (Muzzle Brakes) .

I just mailed off my 338wm barrel to Nathan at muzzlebrakesandmore.com today. $100 installed plus return shipping. And he said usually 2-3 day turn around time.

if you can get a break for $40 shipped I would buy it and have someone thread your barrel and blend it in.

I am assuming you have a SS barrel.

there are lots of guys who do this kind of work. you need a Lathe. I got one and then are probably a dozen guys close to you that have lathes too. I think you should be able to have the work done for $100 or less.

I have a shrewd on my 300 WM and it kicks like a .25-06. it makes it very nice to shoot now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.