Quick muzzle brake question

I've heard that switching between a muzzle brake and no muzzle brake will change your point of impact. My question is, will it also change group size? Put another way, will I need to come up with 2 different loads depending on the configuration?

I'd be happy to find out firsthand, but it's for a rifle I don't own just yet. :)

Like some said, different muzzle devices can change barrel harmonics. This is true with suppressors too. For bigger bore rifles, like 400 and 50s you can get a pull off effect from the break if the gun isn't recoiling straight back, small detail I suppose but for the purpose of the question.

First day of live fire while qualifying with the M-14, I couldn't hit squat. I went to the range gunsmith, and he immediately looked at the flash suppressor, and showed me the problem. You could see the copper deposits from the bullets on one side of the suppressor. Once he straightened it, there was no more problem.

I have experienced excess carbon build up in the brake with my competition rifles cause a change in accuracy. I usually soak, then brush them with a carbon/copper solvent every few hundred rounds.

Every time you clean the rifle, it pays to take the brake off and clean the muzzle and the first couple of threads thoroughly. The muzzle will carbon up, the same as the inside of the brake but, as Greyfox says, it is only required that you clean the brake every couple of 100 rounds or so. Carbon on the muzzle of the barrel can build up or split off unevenly and destroy accuracy.

Did I miss something? If you haven't the rifle yet you can't develop any loads for it--other than on paper. If this is indeed the case I'd suggest waiting to get the rifle and work up loads in it the way you intend to use it especially if that use is hunting.

Did I miss something? If you haven't the rifle yet you can't develop any loads for it--other than on paper. If this is indeed the case I'd suggest waiting to get the rifle and work up loads in it the way you intend to use it especially if that use is hunting.
Just trying to do a little learning before the time comes. I'm one of those people who like to research as much about my hobbies as humanly possible. If I can't be out shooting/hunting, I'm going to be reading about shooting/hunting. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.