I used Barnes for years and never had any issues. In the last couple of years I have started using Hammer Bullets because they are local to Montana so I thought I should give them a try. I have used them in several rifles and they are the easiest bullet I have ever used for load development. The seem to shoot great in everything I have tried them in. We have taken animals from Antelope to Alaskan Moose with them and they have worked flawlessly. I will not say they kill any better than the Barnes bullets did but they sure are a lot easier to get to shoot than the Barnes are. Also is the fact that you can drive up to Somers and talk direct with them and see their operation. Steve has been incredibly helpful to me with sharing loads and offering up his thoughts on what would work best in my rifles. Good Luck with your work-ups and let us know how you fare. I live in Florence and work in Missoula so if you ever want to chew the fat on bullets I have tried let me know. I would be happy to share what I know.

i use Barnes bullets since 1995 ,. i loaded:
223 Rem
6.5 Prc
308 Win
300 Wsm
300 Wm
338 Lapua
and soon 45 acp aswell as 4570 Gov
worst i can say they are not cheap .
but everybody should decide o his own .
Over the past few years 6 mature bull elk didn't like them. 1 shot and drop. 180 grain TSX, .300 Win Mag.

Last edited:
A lot of good insight here!
I had a chance to visit with a former big game guide and he offered some information that has changed my thinking on bullets.
He said in over 30 years of guiding Elk/Deer hunters he has seen just about every bullet success and failures.I told him my favorite bullet and he said he saw the Accubond bullet fail several times and not the fault (most all the time) of the bullet itself.He said the shoulder of an elk has several muscle groups moving in different directions nearly all the time.That can cause a bullet to be influenced and may not travel in the direction intended.It may exit or not exit.Most blame the bullet but it's circumstances of muscle movement so a second shot may be needed.
I felt his information was valuable to me as it explained a lot.He said he has seen nearly EVERY bullet fail and seen cheap cup and core bullets work magic and take an animal.
I still shoot my same bullet (Accubond) and will load some more Bergers to try again.
We have never had it so good bullet wise!Use what ever you get to shoot well in your rifle but always consider the possibility of a second shot!