Monolithic/ copper bullets

dgkypke

I am just beginning the reloading process. I have a few books on the different recipes for the various calibers I have. I see that apparently most, if not all websites and books cater to the lead type bullets. I see on several posts here the mention of different amounts of powder for copper VS lead. Is there a percentage change? Is there a source specifically targeted for these copper/ Hammer based bullets?
For instance, say the 7mm REM Mag, lead 140 grain, mulie/whitetail/ brown bear etc. What would it's copper counterpart be, basically? I know there are tons of little factors, how far the target, which powder, actual type of sabot, etc
Where does one start for the new CA regulations of lead free? Any experienced ones wanna chime in?

Don't start with a max load. The same weight mono bullet will be longer than a similar weight cup & core. The longer bullet will result in higher pressure, so start with a safe load well below max.

Last edited:
For regular Hammer Hunters, pick a bullet weight your twist will stabilize and work up with regular powders listed in load manuals for that wt lead jacketed bullets. All Hammers are California compliant.
Absolute Hammers are a different animal when loading. All are Ca compliant.

For regular Hammer Hunters, pick a bullet weight your twist will stabilize and work up with regular powders listed in load manuals for that wt lead jacketed bullets. All Hammers are California compliant.
Absolute Hammers are a different animal when loading. All are Ca compliant.
Thank you! I called Steve directly at Hammer and he's AWESOME!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.