Copper Bullets

Effectively designed copper monolithic bullets that shed their noses upon impact, and maintain a solid blunted shank, can be very lethal.

Over the past 7 yrs, we've shot sheep, Mt. goat, caribou, moose, grizzly, and brown bear.

Only recovered a couple bullet shanks. They don't need to look like a classical expanded lead-core jacketed bullet to be equally, or more, lethal on game.

Some might simply need to see them in action, for convincing. Even though meat damage is ~20% of frangible bullets, they can still drop game where they stand, upon impact.

Last edited:
It is not typical for Hammers to have a tiny exit hole. Most typical is golf ball sized exit. Sometimes much larger. It is certainly possible to have a small exit, like any other bullet. Once in a while we have a bullet that stays in an animal. Not often unless it is a hard angled shot. Impact to drop is faster with Hammers than I have seen with any other bullet. We just got back from our trip to Aussie to test several new bullet designs. The main testing was with a dangerous game solid. Solids are not known for large terminal wounding. We also tested some larger caliber Hammer HHT's. We shot north of 140 animals. Only one animal traveled farther than 30y after impact. That animal was hit with the first shot by a different well known copper bullet. A lethal shot quartering away on a large bull water buffalo. Then the chase was on. Buffalo was shot 4 more times before he was stopped. About a quarter mile run. The owner of that rifle started loading Hammers the day after we got home. His name is Troy and his main game is taking people out hunting for water buffalo. He was previously very happy with his bullet choice. After seeing somewhere around 50 big game animals taken with the Hammers, he has made the switch. He had no intention of changing and frankly was skeptical that what we had could do anything better. There is no way that he would have switched had he not seen what he saw. Troy sees hundreds of animals shot every year with all kinds of bullets. He very much thought he had the best bullet available, until he took us out hunting.

It is not typical for Hammers to have a tiny exit hole. Most typical is golf ball sized exit. Sometimes much larger. It is certainly possible to have a small exit, like any other bullet. Once in a while we have a bullet that stays in an animal. Not often unless it is a hard angled shot. Impact to drop is faster with Hammers than I have seen with any other bullet. We just got back from our trip to Aussie to test several new bullet designs. The main testing was with a dangerous game solid. Solids are not known for large terminal wounding. We also tested some larger caliber Hammer HHT's. We shot north of 140 animals. Only one animal traveled farther than 30y after impact. That animal was hit with the first shot by a different well known copper bullet. A lethal shot quartering away on a large bull water buffalo. Then the chase was on. Buffalo was shot 4 more times before he was stopped. About a quarter mile run. The owner of that rifle started loading Hammers the day after we got home. His name is Troy and his main game is taking people out hunting for water buffalo. He was previously very happy with his bullet choice. After seeing somewhere around 50 big game animals taken with the Hammers, he has made the switch. He had no intention of changing and frankly was skeptical that what we had could do anything better. There is no way that he would have switched had he not seen what he saw. Troy sees hundreds of animals shot every year with all kinds of bullets. He very much thought he had the best bullet available, until he took us out hunting.
I've seen what you're talking about. Baseball sized exit hole. Bullets don't always act like they're supposed to, regardless of what they are, I get it. In my initial post I was just trying to help explain the differences in monos and how they're designed to work. I think both have advantages and disadvantages. That's all.

If a bullet is 150 grains and after it is recovered it is 145 grains that is high weight retention. If a bullet starts at 150 and the shank is all that's left and it's 50 grains that's "not good weight retention". I'm not sure what's NOT to understand.

A big mushroom = high weight retention because it didn't shed all its weight. I was saying the same thing in a different way.

Do you truly not understand or are you being argumentative. Seems like the latter. Which is strange because nobody is going to argue that a hammer has low weight retention and a Barnes has high weight retention. As uncle Si would say, "that's a fact jack!"

Whose being argumentative? I don't understand the love for a big mushroom.

I killed deerc where I could not find the entrance and I killed deer I couldn't find the exit, but the deer dropped.

The lungs and heart were a mess. That's what I want. The weight or shape or condition of the finished bullet is irrelevant.

Whose being argumentative? I don't understand the love for a big mushroom.

I killed deerc where I could not find the entrance and I killed deer I couldn't find the exit, but the deer dropped.

The lungs and heart were a mess. That's what I want. The weight or shape or condition of the finished bullet is irrelevant.
The first doe I shot with a Hammer, the first kill with a Hammer, I couldn't find the entry or exit! However, it flopped on it's back like it got struck by lightning! A gallon of blood out it's mouth and its vitals were blendered!

Im going to go ahead and shamelessly plug my company Cutting Edge Bullets. We have over 360 different bullets in everything from 22lr-50BMG. We've been around since 2008 so I have to say, i'm a bit bummed I dont read about us more on forums!

Our patented SealTite™ band is the reason behind why you dont see fliers with our bullets. Fliers are commonly associated with monolithic bullets due to their inability to upset like a lead core bullet. This patented feature is also why you see less copper fouling with our bullets compared to other monolithics.

I could go on and on, but I will spare you the rest of the sales pitch. Thanks for reading!

Samantha,

I am a sucker for innovation, particularly the brilliance behind ESP Raptor's tri-purpose design - pure genius IMHO. Below are some CEBs gifted to me by a very dear friend (thanks again, Brother 😍).

1691928984374.png

1691928705707.png

1691928739772.png

I got my eye on your .338 250-275 grain LTHP, MTH (non-single feed), and Maximus to try. Keep up the excellent work. Stay true to your business goals, let your product speak for itself, and you'll be fine.

Ed

The first doe I shot with a Hammer, the first kill with a Hammer, I couldn't find the entry or exit! However, it flopped on it's back like it got struck by lightning! A gallon of blood out it's mouth and its vitals were blendered!
The "Slush" factor, quoted from the man, the myth and the legend GLTaylor

Accidently hit the post reply.
GMX and E-Tip were both difficult to load for me and neither made up for it with impressive wound channels. TSX, TTSX, and Hammer Hunters have been very easy to tune across several rifles, in several calibers, and several weights in caliber. They also have performed very well on game from 30 feet to 500 yards. I am working with the Badlands BD2 this year and they have tuned with a little work but have proven to be capable of consistent precision and hopefully we will get some on game evaluation this year. IMHO Barnes and Hammer Hunter are the easy button starting with monos. Hammers are the cream of the crop because as stated in earlier posts, load development is as easy as I have ever experienced. Very good accuracy and velocity can be achieved even with less than ideal powder/primer for cartridge combinations.