Node with Copper Bullets?

seidersjoden

Reloading for a 338 Lapua AI. Historically I end up going to a Berger OTM which has treated me well and I have achieved in the twos and threes SDs with it shooting the 300g OTM at just over 2900 ft./s
Getting stationed back in California and as everyone knows you must use Copper for Hunting (Please no comments on how California sucks just looking for help here).

It's always been difficult to find a node using copper bullets, specifically cutting edge bullets with the lzr and MTH.

1) so currently trying to find a node with these bullets: .338 252gr, single feed MTH.

2) What I've known for years and what I just confirmed with Cutting Edge is you try to find a node 002" off the lands or you skip to .025" and try to find a node in that area.

So far I've tried .001" off the lands and chronoed the following: max 3100, MIN 3056 AVG 3081 SD 14.8

Then .006" off the lands: max 3100 MIN 3079 average 3087. SD 11.3

Then .011" of the lands: Max 3095 Min 3078 AVG 3088 SD 7.6

Picture starts with the top group mentioned on the piece of paper and works down in the order that I wrote it down on this message. Don't ask me why the number of shot groups are different, my first test batch was seven shots and then I realize I need to start smaller so I don't waste so much time money and components to find a node. Will stick with four shots until I find something worthwhile and then do larger test batches with that. As of now it looks like the last group has the lowest SD of 7.6 but as you can see still a vertical spread rather than a nice horizontal group.

Obviously not done, I'm going to try exactly .002" off the lands and then jump to .025", however I am kind of curious to work my way out to the .025" by using .005" increments until I get out to the .025" mark.

Anyone have conventional wisdom with these copper bullets or any copper bullets in general as far as finding a good node? Should I mess around closer with the lands on a few more test batches? Try touching the lands? And yes I'm using for hunting and no I don't care about single feeding.

Thanks
Joden

Attachments

• 8829D87C-5832-4997-8F9A-B4AE01DB5D02.jpeg
    8829D87C-5832-4997-8F9A-B4AE01DB5D02.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
If your current bullet does not work out order a box of the Hammer bullets and I would bet your troubles would be over they are the easiest bullet I have ever worked with load development wis

Haven't tried those yet, thanks for the tip!

Is finding a good node typically difficult with Cutting Edge Bullets? Curious if there's a commonality?

I have not used any I had a hard time with barnes and gave up on mono bullets till I found the Hammer bullets If you have questions about them call them up they will answer and talk to you about their bullets and guide you in the right direction

Those groups, if at 100 yards, look good to go for a hunting rifle. Groups seem to be getting smaller with more jump. I would keep going shorter.

I have had good luck with Barnes bullets.

They recommend starting .050 off the lands. I use that to find a powder load and then vary COAL. Every caliber so far has shot best .040 off.

I personally would not use .001 jump. Eventually, you will stick a bullet either due to loading variation or recoil. That is guaranteed to happen at the worst possible time.

Good luck.

Those groups, if at 100 yards, look good to go for a hunting rifle. Groups seem to be getting smaller with more jump. I would keep going shorter.

I have had good luck with Barnes bullets.

They recommend starting .050 off the lands. I use that to find a powder load and then vary COAL. Every caliber so far has shot best .040 off.

I personally would not use .001 jump. Eventually, you will stick a bullet either due to loading variation or recoil. That is guaranteed to happen at the worst possible time.

Good luck.
Thanks hawk

If your current bullet does not work out order a box of the Hammer bullets and I would bet your troubles would be over they are the easiest bullet I have ever worked with load development wise
Plus they are a far better hunting bullet. I've used both and hammers far exceeded the cutting edge on game

I use .005" clearance with the lazers that I shoot and it works very well. I do also like the hammers but the BC's of the lazers is like double that of the hammers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts