Copper Bullets

As posted earlier, CA Fish and Wildlife has an approved list of manufacturers. I just sent them an updated list of all the bullets currently in our line of Hammer Bullets.

For your 6.5 PRC I would load the 125g Hammer HHT. These will push to 3400 fps plus comfortably and get you to your 800y mark. We just released the new line of Hammer HHT's in June after about a year of testing on animals all over the world. I have been very adamant about never having a tip in Hammer Bullets for years because we could never get a tip bullet to work as well as our open hollow point bullets for terminal performance. Our buddy @pickens72 came to visit us last summer and pushed us to try a tipped bullet again. We set out to prove to him that they wouldn't work as well. After nearly a year of testing on animals with thousands of kills, with some tweaks along the way, I have to eat some serious crow. We have the new Hammer HHT's working on game better than any of our previous bullets. This is a big statement given that I am very confident in saying that our previous lines of bullets have better terminal performance than any other bullets on the market. The Hammer HHT's are equivalent at plus 3000 fps impacts and superior below that. Unlike other tipped bullets they do not deflect on angled bone impacts. They will bite the bone and maintain straight line penetration with the shed petals also maintaining the straight line penetration. We have set a new bar for terminal performance. We just returned from Australia shooting a pile of pigs, donkeys, scrub bulls, and water buffalo with various cartridges and bullets. This 125g Hammer HHT we were running out of a custom .264 caliber cartridge that we designed, that is between the Creed and the PRC for performance. I shot a bunch about a half a dozen water buffalo cows with the 125g HHT and it was literally decking them. Even on quartering to shoulder shots. I have pretty high expectations and the 125g HHT surpassed my expectations over and over. From little 20 lb wallaby to 1000lb water buffalo it was devastating.

Last thing I will add. We will not introduce a hunting bullet to the market that is not superior in terminal performance. Period.
Dang right these babys work better than the ones i homemade several years backs! My favorite part is they open at a lower velocity as well as a bc increase. If you guys like the HH design you will love these! Give em a try!

Im going to go ahead and shamelessly plug my company Cutting Edge Bullets. We have over 360 different bullets in everything from 22lr-50BMG. We've been around since 2008 so I have to say, i'm a bit bummed I dont read about us more on forums!

Our patented SealTite™ band is the reason behind why you dont see fliers with our bullets. Fliers are commonly associated with monolithic bullets due to their inability to upset like a lead core bullet. This patented feature is also why you see less copper fouling with our bullets compared to other monolithics.

I could go on and on, but I will spare you the rest of the sales pitch. Thanks for reading!

Samantha,

I appreciate the PM. Cheers!

Ed

Im going to go ahead and shamelessly plug my company Cutting Edge Bullets. We have over 360 different bullets in everything from 22lr-50BMG. We've been around since 2008 so I have to say, i'm a bit bummed I dont read about us more on forums!

Our patented SealTite™ band is the reason behind why you dont see fliers with our bullets. Fliers are commonly associated with monolithic bullets due to their inability to upset like a lead core bullet. This patented feature is also why you see less copper fouling with our bullets compared to other monolithics.

I could go on and on, but I will spare you the rest of the sales pitch. Thanks for reading!

There's a proven method to guarantee plenty of talk about your product! 😂

Weight retention is a mathematical equation. Not sure I understand your question.

I don't know about you, but a .264 entrance and exit doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. This is an issue I've had and leads to bad blood trails. Lots of mono manufacturers boast about losing petals like it's a good thing, but I'd prefer a nice big mushroom pushing out the opposite side!

You posted "weight retention not good". Now you changed it to no mushroom.

I shot fourteen blacktail deer in the last seven years. Only three didn't drop at the shot. So you want a bulelt to leave a blood trail. I want a bullet that drops them where I shoot them.

Thank you. We try but yesterday we went fishing and I didn't answer any calls. 😁

Thank you. We try but yesterday we went fishing and I didn't answer any calls. 😁
That's ok. I do concerts on the weekends/mid week. Rod Stewart/Cheap Trick was fairly lame as far as concerts go. I've never "not" got through. But then, when I do, it's what I need to know.

You posted "weight retention not good". Now you changed it to no mushroom.

I shot fourteen blacktail deer in the last seven years. Only three didn't drop at the shot. So you want a bulelt to leave a blood trail. I want a bullet that drops them where I shoot them.
If a bullet is 150 grains and after it is recovered it is 145 grains that is high weight retention. If a bullet starts at 150 and the shank is all that's left and it's 50 grains that's "not good weight retention". I'm not sure what's NOT to understand.

A big mushroom = high weight retention because it didn't shed all its weight. I was saying the same thing in a different way.

Do you truly not understand or are you being argumentative. Seems like the latter. Which is strange because nobody is going to argue that a hammer has low weight retention and a Barnes has high weight retention. As uncle Si would say, "that's a fact jack!"

Depending on the ratio of nose length to shank length Hammer Bullets will retain between 60% and 80%. We design the bullets to shed the nose, so the longer the nose is the less retained weight. Hammer Bullets will retain the same weight regardless of impact velocity, from 1700fps for HHT's and 1800fps HH, up to how ever fast you can drive them. There is a sweet spot of weight retention with each bullet were we get the most shock from the shed and the deepest largest wound channel. We control the amount of weight retention based on the depth of our hollow point. Over the years we have adjusted the depth finding that spot that gives the most stunning results. It is fascinating how a change of a few thou can effect the terminal performance on animals. It has to do with how long it takes to open and fully shed the nose petals. Too long and to much bullet speed is lost and the "pop" is lost and much smaller overall wound channel. Too shallow and the "pop" is too quick and loses the ability to stun larger animals. There is no formula for it. Over the years we have developed a feel for where to put the hollow point depth but only animal testing tells the story.

For the first time I saw someone call Hammer Bullets low weight retention bullets as a criticism. Usually the energy dump crowd bags on us for retaining too much weight. Kinda funny.

Depending on the ratio of nose length to shank length Hammer Bullets will retain between 60% and 80%. We design the bullets to shed the nose, so the longer the nose is the less retained weight. Hammer Bullets will retain the same weight regardless of impact velocity, from 1700fps for HHT's and 1800fps HH, up to how ever fast you can drive them. There is a sweet spot of weight retention with each bullet were we get the most shock from the shed and the deepest largest wound channel. We control the amount of weight retention based on the depth of our hollow point. Over the years we have adjusted the depth finding that spot that gives the most stunning results. It is fascinating how a change of a few thou can effect the terminal performance on animals. It has to do with how long it takes to open and fully shed the nose petals. Too long and to much bullet speed is lost and the "pop" is lost and much smaller overall wound channel. Too shallow and the "pop" is too quick and loses the ability to stun larger animals. There is no formula for it. Over the years we have developed a feel for where to put the hollow point depth but only animal testing tells the story.

For the first time I saw someone call Hammer Bullets low weight retention bullets as a criticism. Usually the energy dump crowd bags on us for retaining too much weight. Kinda funny.
What's funny about shooting a deer through both lungs and the entrance and exit holes are the size of your pinky? What's funny is that you've never seen someone complain about monos that lose their petals. It's not a hammer only design of course. Other monos do the same. I've seen plenty of people talk about it and forums and Podcasts too. I believe von benedict discussed this in depth.

If you look back at my original post I was listing the similarities and differences between different monos. Some guys want petals to shed and others want high retention and a big mushroom. I was listing facts. It got in the weeds when Ol' Croyle pretended to not know the meaning of weight retention.

Shedding petals is a pro or a con depending on who you're talking to, but I find it very hard to believe that you've never heard one person say that shedding petals and weight is a negative. Really? Come on…

Like I said earlier, I don't hate or love hammers. They're another tool that I'll use in the right situation. This year it'll be a 85 hammer hunter in a 6.5cm for my recoil shy daughter.

Last edited:
What's funny about shooting a deer through both lungs and the entrance and exit holes are the size of your pinky? What's funny is that you've never seen someone complain about this. It's not a hammer only issue. Other monos do the same. I've seen plenty of people talk about it. Podcasts too.
What's Funny is it's not a Hammer issue at all,
Haters are gonna hate regardless, nothing anyone can say, do or sow will change their minds, case in point all of the high bc energy dump I don't shoot copper bullets members posting in this thread just trying to "help" a fellow shooter

Last edited:

Recent Posts