Copper Bullets

X3 on Hammers. I'm 5-for-5 in a row stacking up dead whitetails that haven't moved after being shot. People call it a cult, I call it using what works for me.

I'll add Cutting Edge, but only because Hammer doesn't make saboted muzzleloader bullets. Badlands Precision and Maker Bullets also specialize in copper monos. I have a bunch of Badlands to try. Makers are my go-to in subsonic loads.

Black Butterfly sells pre-loaded Maker Bullets ammunition that is kind of the opposite of Hammer and CE - instead of fracturing these bullets open significantly more than a regular mushroom and cut more like an arrow broadhead.

Most manufacturers offer some kind of drawn wire copper bullet - Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, etc. (like he listed there ^) but they tend to be designed to mushroom similar to a CoreLokt or other traditional cup and core bullet. I don't want that, I want either the petals to shear off, or the bullet to expand significantly more. Making monos act like old bullets is shortsighted to me.

Make sure you know your barrel twist rate, depending on what chambering/caliber you're shooting you might be surprised at how fast it needs to be. But a big upshot is you can run the bullet significantly faster. Part of the "Hammer Cult" is shooting light for caliber bullets significantly faster than normal. I used a more traditional weight of180gn Hammer Hunters in my 30-06, but in 6.5 Creed I use 85gn bullets that run several hundred FPS faster than 120-140gn lead bullets, and they hit HARD.

Last edited:
California requires hunting bullets to be lead-free. Is there a cheat sheet of manufacturers that make lead-free bullets? What are some lead-free bullets that you've used with great success?
If you go to the CF&G website they have a list of the manufactures that have submitted samples and CF&G have approved. The bullet has to have been approved by CF&G and be on their list.

There are a ton of good to great options for copper bullets nowadays.

Hornady - CX, NTX
Nosler - E-tip, BT lead-free
Barnes - TSX, LRX, T-TSX...
Hammer - they are all copper, HH, AH, HHT
Badlands - I don't know much about these but they come up on here, I'm pretty sure they're a full line of copper.

I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones off the top of my head. I've shot a few of the Hammer Hunters and they do well for groups. I'd give them a look without hesitation. They're also very close to me, so I've stopped by and chatted with them about bullets a few times. I have a bunch for a variety of cartridges and calibers. What cartridge(s) are you shooting, what's your twist rate(s), and what's your intended range?