Copper Bullets

the only 2 I have any experience with are Hammer and Barnes. Both have been very pleasing to me, but hammer gets the nod absolutely. Very intrigued by the Maker T-Rex bullets and would like to try those as well, along with GS Custom, one of the true originals.

Not sure either way about badlands, McGuire, cutting edge, and other attempts at solid copper lawndarts that somehow are supposed to violently expand at low velocity. Have my suspicions.

Have absolutely no use for hornady gmx or Cx, or the nosler e tip.

You will find a great deal of passion for bullets on the forums. I have been a cup and core guy for most of my life. Nosler AB always seemed to work well for me and my rifles. I tried their E-Tips and never got them to shoot well in my rifles. I tried the Hammer Hunter and it performed as advertised. They probably would not be my choice if I was an ELR guy due to lower BC. I recently have been experimenting with the Badlands BD2. They work reasonably well in one of my fast twist rifles, but are a bit more finicky than the HH. An added bonus for HH is the availability and awesome vapor trails. Try several and see what your rifle likes.

Check out Apex afterburner bullets as well. They have a new long range line coming out slowly in addition to their standard twist designs. From what I have seen so far, they have what I would say is the preferred terminal performance design for monos (fracturing vs mushrooming), but do it with better bc than is generally seen, while being relatively strait forward to load with.

I will be testing the 8 twist, 7mm 147 with a .290 G7, and the 8.5 twist .308 187 with a .333 G7.

I have used both Barnes and Hammers with a lot of success. I have switched most of my hunting rifles to Hammers these days as they are a Montana company and I want to support the local guys. The results have been impressive but no super long shots to date with them. Great performance out to 500 yards is all I can vouch for. Most of the animals taken have been bang flop! I am sure there are others but I don't have any experience with them so I can't speak to their effectiveness. Good Luck.

I will recommend Hammer Bullets. Hammer hunter line, and choose light for cartridge bullets. They will have you up and running quickly. Hassle free hand loading and the best terminal performance I've seen on game. It's almost unbelievable how "easy button" these bullets are.

708 - 120HH
308 - 137HH
300WM - 137-160ish HH

There is the new HHT line as well showing lots of promise in the R&D testing on game animals. Hammer has the most extensive game animal testing of any bullet company I know.

You can get a lot of support here on LRH and on Hammer Time forum. Great bunch a folks will want to help you out and see your success.

Questions: Are GS Customs still around? Are they available in the US? Anybody still uses those? Comments just on GS customs?

I have a 6.5 PRC in 1:8 twist. I am starting to hunt blacktails in Northern CA. I hear friends and relatives mention they sometimes see deer 7-800 yards. I still need to find me a range where I can practice shooting those distances.
I would be looking at the Hammer 123 HH and 125 HHT. That's just where I would go. They're expensive, but I think most copper bullets are relatively expensive. It's nice that they've started selling them in 100 count boxes too.

That's your list. Hornady makes the CX. It is hunting accurate.

Barnes makes copper pointed things, but the tips are too off center to call them bullets!
I was shocked to receive 120TTSX that the tips were so off center it's like they designed them like that.
I was shocked again to hear Barnes say, "Oh they're fine, doesn't matter if the tips are off center..."
The 50 I have left loaded up will be used for close quarters canyon busting on hogs. Then, never again.