Copper Bullets

I would be looking at the Hammer 123 HH and 125 HHT. That's just where I would go. They're expensive, but I think most copper bullets are relatively expensive. It's nice that they've started selling them in 100 count boxes too.
I've found although Hammers are expensive they still save me money with load development. I've thrown away a lot of money in components to get other bullets to shoot as good as Hammers shoot right out the gate!

I've found although Hammers are expensive they still save me money with load development. I've thrown away a lot of money in components to get other bullets to shoot as good as Hammers shoot right out the gate!
I'd have to agree. He did say he wants to shoot at 800 yards and that will take quite a bit of practice too. That's what I was thinking about when I was considering price. Then at the same time, I'm not sure how viable a 123gr or 125gr bullet would be at that range, even from a 6.5 PRC. I'd have to run the numbers.

I'd have to agree. He did say he wants to shoot at 800 yards and that will take quite a bit of practice too. That's what I was thinking about when I was considering price. Then at the same time, I'm not sure how viable a 123gr or 125gr bullet would be at that range, even from a 6.5 PRC. I'd have to run the numbers.
They are expensive but I'll not scrimp on the only piece of equipment that actually touches the animal 😁

Oh, I missed that 800yds distance. Yup, run the HHTs in a heavier grain for wind n such. I don't shoot 6.5, but I bet there are some Hammer shooters that can chime in with some help in regard to the bullet weight selection.

I tend to think this way. For hunting, the cheapest cost, even when using super premium products, it is the bullet. You burn more in gas than bullets. So don't be pennywise and pound fool when it comes to bullets. Just MHO

Last edited:

You guys just demand "TOO" much from your rifles! 😉

I just developed a load for my hunting rifle with less than 20 rounds…. had to "burn" a few rounds, just so I could reload the full 20 round box, to keep the fired count the same for all the brass! 🙀 🤔memtb

I tend to think this way. For hunting, the cheapest cost, even when using super premium products, it is the bullet. You burn more in gas than bullets. So don't be pennywise and pound full when it comes to bullets. Just MHO

There are a lot of hunters (?) that haven't figured that out yet!

When compared to fuel, food, licensing, camping or motel expenses, possible guide fees……the cost of ammunition is similar to the lost pocket change found under your couch! 😉 memtb

I was shocked to receive 120TTSX that the tips were so off center it's like they designed them like that.
I was shocked again to hear Barnes say, "Oh they're fine, doesn't matter if the tips are off center..."
The 50 I have left loaded up will be used for close quarters canyon busting on hogs. Then, never again.
Well then! Let the record reflect that apart from the 120 tac tx all the Barnes I've been using are older ones I've bought off auctions and they appear to be very consistent and well made. 257" 100 grain tsx and 243" 75 grain X.

Sad to hear of yet another company giving up on quality vs quantity (while jacking up prices)

Well then! Let the record reflect that apart from the 120 tac tx all the Barnes I've been using are older ones I've bought off auctions and they appear to be very consistent and well made. 257" 100 grain tsx and 243" 75 grain X.

Sad to hear of yet another company giving up on quality vs quantity (while jacking up prices)

For the price that you're paying for this comment…..it's worth your investment!

The consistency of the base is far more important to accurac, than is the bullet tip!

That said, my recently purchased , I assume recently manufacture, 270 grain LRX's shoot pretty darn good! I never even looked at the tips, and this may not be important…….all of the tips were attached to the bullets! 😉 memtb

My brother shot a lot of Hornady CX since that was one of the cheaper bullets. We practice a lot with our hunting ammo. He's dumped some pretty big bucks and pigs with his 308 win. However he spends more time hunting out of state now where there are no copper bullet mandates.

I have a 6.5 PRC in 1:8 twist. I am starting to hunt blacktails in Northern CA. I hear friends and relatives mention they sometimes see deer 7-800 yards. I still need to find me a range where I can practice shooting those distances.
Probably a long ways for you to travel, but SLOSA south of Morro Bay has a long distance range out back with steel set up to 1400 yards I believe.

For the price that you're paying for this comment…..it's worth your investment!

The consistency of the base is far more important to accurac, than is the bullet tip!

That said, my recently purchased , I assume recently manufacture, 270 grain LRX's shoot pretty darn good! I never even looked at the tips, and this may not be important…….all of the tips were attached to the bullets! 😉 memtb
Glad to hear it. And yes, I know the base is more important than the tip - the cheap Speer btsp is one of the most accurate bullets I've tried in my old savage 99 .243, with the soft lead tips visibly dinged up and out of concentricity at times - they weren't trying to sell them as something more than what they were either - but if I'm paying a premium price tag I expect a premium product and attention to such details as uniformity and concentricity are required, even if it's just for aesthetics and peace of mind. Barnes and Nosler do make good bullets…but not as great as they seem to think they are based on their pricing compared to competitors (and Nosler is the only company I've seen the tips malformed or straight up falling out of the nose, not seconds either). I have no doubt they'd kill something, but it's the principle of the matter - you can't charge that much for something that isn't superior to cheaper competitors and is inferior to similarly priced competitors. Or maybe you can, but i wont buy it! 🤣

Now as for things bought on auction sale, you're right, I can't complain…and I have no reason to! My point was that their older bullets seem to be extremely consistent and uniform compared to reports of what they find acceptable in their new production as per @Gingerman s experience with being dismissed about his concern.

I was shocked to receive 120TTSX that the tips were so off center it's like they designed them like that.
I was shocked again to hear Barnes say, "Oh they're fine, doesn't matter if the tips are off center..."
The 50 I have left loaded up will be used for close quarters canyon busting on hogs. Then, never again.
I prefer the TSX vs the TTSX. Never liked the plastic tipped ones.