Accuracy Node different bullets

Bad weather

i developed a very accurate load for my Sako 308 using SMK 168g bullets. Unfortunately I want to use Barnes ttsx 168g bullets for an upcoming moose hunt. The ttsx bullets are longer than the SMK bullets so I also need to adjust COAL. I'm thinking if I match Pmax pressure using Quick Load which would result in a different powder charge I should be able to duplicate my accuracy load. Matching Pmax also matches the barrel time in seconds for the two different bullets even though the muzzle velocity is different. What are your thoughts

I have had this happen. Not with a 308, but with a 264 win mag. Factory ammo with 140 Bergers were actually only .010 off the lands in my friends rifle. I switched to 143 eldx and loaded them .010 just for fun. It shot the best when doing a seating depth test.

i developed a very accurate load for my Sako 308 using SMK 168g bullets. Unfortunately I want to use Barnes ttsx 168g bullets for an upcoming moose hunt. The ttsx bullets are longer than the SMK bullets so I also need to adjust COAL. I'm thinking if I match Pmax pressure using Quick Load which would result in a different powder charge I should be able to duplicate my accuracy load. Matching Pmax also matches the barrel time in seconds for the two different bullets even though the muzzle velocity is different. What are your thoughts

What are your thoughts on using an accubond or partition instead of the Barnes?
Both of the Nosler bullets would be more like your smk profile.
Side note, most of my 308s shoot 165/168 bullets very well with varget. 2 nodes ~ low 43.5 and high ~46.

My theory is that by matching the pressure and bullet time in the barrel I will also match the barrel harmonics and have an accurate load.

the two bullet type are so different that the timing in barrel will be different for a couple reasons , one is time to swage a match king with a softer lead core through the start of rifling compared to the barnes solid solid copper , then the longer bullet bearing surface of the all copper will have more friction , then take up some of that burnable area out of the case capacity ( because you seated one deeper ) and change speed of how the powder builds pressure

if you end up lucky , it will be just that , cross your fingers

a big fat heavier than hell barrel more rigid barrel that lessens the harmonic variations , may increase your odds

Last edited:
I had text book perfect accuracy nodes with the SMK's and was trying to be lazy and cheap and hopping to skip some testing with the ttsx bullets. Your probably right DN especially on the swaging effect of the all copper ttsx. I will give it a shot and let all know

I also have a sako 308 and tried all different loads and bullets I've always used nosler partitions a lot but want to try some new fancy super fast accurate bullets I tried Barnes,Berger,hornaday, Sierra and nosler. As much as I wanted to use something different nothing came close to the noslers both partition, acuubond, second was Sierra 165. I used from 43.5 to 44.5 of 4064 and funny thing again with cci large rifle primer. I mainly use federal. I don't care about a couple hundred feet a second when all three wholes touch. Pulled it out last year shot three times my son said put it away that gun is unbelievable. I think it's the load, and the gun. Funny thing is this was same load and bullet combo I was loading for a browning 308 lever I had in 1990. I guess some things don't change

Barnes bullets like to jump. A lot. If you use the Dave Saterly load development method you will find your node in 10 shots. Look it up on the tube. I use it every time I change powder or bullet. It works 100% of the time. Since you already have a load try using it as the middle and work up to it and past. I normally use 15 shots so I can see several nodes to work with.
Shep

I also have a sako 308 and tried all different loads and bullets I've always used nosler partitions a lot but want to try some new fancy super fast accurate bullets I tried Barnes,Berger,hornaday, Sierra and nosler. As much as I wanted to use something different nothing came close to the noslers both partition, acuubond, second was Sierra 165. I used from 43.5 to 44.5 of 4064 and funny thing again with cci large rifle primer. I mainly use federal. I don't care about a couple hundred feet a second when all three wholes touch. Pulled it out last year shot three times my son said put it away that gun is unbelievable. I think it's the load, and the gun. Funny thing is this was same load and bullet combo I was loading for a browning 308 lever I had in 1990. I guess some things don't change
IMR is a good .308 powder except for the fact that is temperature sensitive... at almost the same burn rate VARGET is not..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts