Finding node using different bullets?

the big greasy

Was wondering if it's a waste of bullets using 180 corlokts to find an accuracy node when going to be shooting barnes tsx 180. I know they won't be totally the same but would they be close in finding the node? Just trying to conserve the expensive tsx, but if there is no point I will just use the tsx to start with. Thanks.

I tried the whole optimal charge weight and accuracy node thing when I started getting serious about reloading and gave up on it relatively quickly. It was a complete waste of my time. For some guys it might work great, but it was a fast way to waste primers, bullets, and powder on the rifles I tried it on. I haven't ever messed with mono's either. I prefer the old-school method: just start about mid way up the published data and load 4 each at 1/2 grain increments and exceed max charge by 1/2gr-1gr. Every one of my rifles has the best accuracy at max +/-1/2 gr. 4ea is my conservative way of alleviating pulled shots/flyers from the group. Always take your best one or two groups and shoot them multiple times on different days and temps to verify group repeatability and velocity consistency.

Disclaimer: this is what I do, you should consult multiple load data sources, it's your face next to that chamber, you should never exceed published data etc... etc... I'm kicking a dead horse here.

Last edited:
In my experience, you have to run any changes in bullet or powder as independent.

some bullets do have a counterpart like Nosler Accubond and Nosler BT's, but I wouldn't think corelokt and Barnes would be equivalent.
I agree. I've used both. For a given weight, the Barnes will be longer than a C/C bullet and react differently and should be treated that way

I'd be curious to see if you'd get the same velocity - given all else is equal - powder charge. The TSX would probably have more rifling contact than the corloks.

Was wondering if it's a waste of bullets using 180 corlokts to find an accuracy node when going to be shooting barnes tsx 180. I know they won't be totally the same but would they be close in finding the node? Just trying to conserve the expensive tsx, but if there is no point I will just use the tsx to start with. Thanks.

I'd be curious to see if you'd get the same velocity - given all else is equal - powder charge. The TSX would probably have more rifling contact than the corloks.

I'm not sure, I know the tsx has grooves cut out for the displaced copper to go, so it just rides on the raised rings. The corelokts ride on all the jacket. I'm thinking the tsx would have less contact and maybe be faster, but then again I could be wrong lol.

See if you can get a sample pack from barnes and remington customer service. Try them out.

I'm not sure, I know the tsx has grooves cut out for the displaced copper to go, so it just rides on the raised rings. The corelokts ride on all the jacket. I'm thinking the tsx would have less contact and maybe be faster, but then again I could be wrong lol.

Copper to copper doable
Lead to Lead doable
Copper to Lead ish…

I use the same charge weight on a lot of loads with bullets within 5-7gr. I discovered real quickly that copper bullets are slightly longer than lead bullets and need to reduce 1.5gr and adjust slowly.

Short answer - YES - it will be a waste of components, test with the bullets you want to use.

The grooves are not for displaced copper, they are for reducing drag~friction.

Edit: I stand corrected, they are for both.

Last edited:

Recent Posts