Are nodes transferable across different bullets of the same weight?

letrbuck

Right now I have pretty limited access to a chrono, but I want to work up a ladder test to find a velocity node for a particular bullet. Say if I find a velocity flat spot between x and y powder charges, could I expect that to be the same or similar if I went to a different bullet of the same weight? (brass and primers would remain same)

I doubt it, bullets from different manufacturers will have different bearing surfaces and the specific nodes and velocity will be different in my experience.

In most scenarios no, in some scenarios yes. I've had sierra and speer spritzers (similar construction) with velocity nodes almost identical. Similar, not identical. On the other hand, I'd had more instances of the same weight bullets across manufactures behave differently. The only way to know for sure is to load and shoot.

If it does it is totally random. I had a node with H1000 and Berger 180 Vld match. Switched to 180 Vld match Hunting because my local store was out of the regular Vld. The difference between these bullets is so small it's difficult to see.

Different jackets. Node was .5 gr different between the two, and it was not a small difference in group size. Group size grew from sub 3/8 to well over 3/4". After fine Tuning it back in and it was right back to sub 3/8".

The 115 vld and 115 ballistic tip has the same velocity node in my 257 wby. I had back the charge up .5gr to match the vld to bt speed because of bearing surface. So they might

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.