Feenix, thank you for compiling such a list of copper choices. As a Ca resident I am forced to choose a copper mono for hunting and you have certainly muddied the water! I appreciate choices and love to experiment when time and budget allow. Cheers, Jason
You're welcome, Sir! I enjoyed the research and the learning process. I am thankful I am not being forced to use lead free bullets and hope it stays as such.

I hunt from 100 yards to 800 yards every type of animal I've even made a kill at 1001 yards. If you hunt use what bullet suits the hunt and the distance and one you prefer just make sure it's, one that gets the job done. When it comes to mono it's the price. I can reload almost 3 times more bullets with greater bc for the same Money. I have no problem with the use of mono bullets. everything has its place.( Just like to add something I use Hornady bullets eldx eldm and one other in the 129 gr. all my kills have been one shot kills and the longest distance I had to track a kill was 25 yards. P.S I'm not a pro shooter I'm average shooter like all of you.)

Last edited:
I hunt from 100 yards to 800 yards every type of animal I've even made a kill at 1001 yards. If you hunt use what bullet suits the hunt and the distance and one you prefer just make sure it's, one that gets the job done. When it comes to mono it's the price. I can reload almost 3 times more bullets with greater bc for the same Money. I have no problem with the use of mono bullets.

I don't shoot as much as I should, cost, availability and time play heavily into this.

That said, for shooting practice, whether varmints, paper, ect. I'll use the much less expensive (besides I have a bunch) cup &cores.

When hunting, I go to what I consider my "bread & butter" bullets….back to the monos. memtb

All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!
I have loaded for my 7RM using Barnes and Hammer bullets. I have settled on Hammer Hunter bullets exclusively for all hunting I do with ALL of my rifles. They are ridiculously easy to develop a load with and have proven extremely effective on game. I have tried most of the big name brand bullets and none have been as easy to load for, most of the time development of a load in less than 20rnds, and none have been as accurate. Hammers, specifically, are meant to be run fast. They work as advertised but as always, if they don't shoot out of your weapon, you will need to find a projectile that does.

In your 7RM I'd start with a 150-160gr and see how it goes. That's just my .02.

Erik

We all rave about our favorite bullet when we look down on the ground and have that animal we just shot. BUT, cuss them when we see that animal get away…when most of the time it is due to us making that bad shot. Just saying.
Respectfully, I agree in part. A lot of us aren't speaking of a lost animal, but of the rodeo that followed recovering the animal, (some with dogs) and a follow up post mortem.

The longer a death dash, the less chance of recovery. Especially in unfavorable conditions.

Barnes 7mm 140gr TTSX is designed to open at lower velocities than other TTSX, as Barnes anticipated it would be used in rounds like the 7-08. I was advised that it can be expected to open up at 1600fps to 1.7x diameter. It's on older style Barnes bullet, but if long range is needed, this bullet can do that.

I've tried HH and Barnes LRX. Both shoot well but I like the way the Barnes mushrooms and stays together creating entry and exit holes. The bullet weight retention is excellent. The HH are made to come apart which could have some merits but not for me. I shoot the LRX 127 in my 6.5 PRC and the 168 in my 7 PRC.

All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!
I just switched to a 129 gr lrx in my 270 wsm last fall. I found it liked 47 thou jump. Got it to .6" groups with little load development using the same charge weight as before. I bring this up because the 200 gr lrx in my 300 wm liked 50 thou jump. I believe Barnes now says start at 50 thou jump and go up towards 100 thou from there. If you go Barnes lrx, start at 40 thou.
I just bought some BD2's for my 243 but haven't got to that load yet.
I shoot a 180 gr vld-h in my 7mag but it's a 8T. Love that combo. Sorry, mono's only I know.
This summer I'll be doing a 33 Nosler with a 160 gr ttsx at only ~3000 fps. Keep it easy on the shoulder.

Barnes and hammer guy here. Both work good. But one has been far better than the other

I also have apex, and CE in stock, they are in my list of things to do.

As well as the bulldozers, 1&2.

Spend all your time makin money, spend all your money makin time. That leaves no time for spendin boolits.
Out of curiosity how is saying "But one hax beed far better than the other" and then not being specific help anyone?