Cutting Edge Bullets reloading issues?

EXPRESS

In the past I've used CEBs with good results. I haven't found them to be the most accurate in my rifles, but sub MOA and some loads .5MOA.

Recently I picked up some 150 grain MTH in.308 cal to try in .300 win mag. This particular rifle has a 1:10 twist Shilen Select match grade barrel that seems to prefer lighter bullets (it shoots 168SMKs .25MOA). And it's not fussy about what you need to do to make it shoot.

But with these bullets I ran in to some problems from the get go. I have found the CEBs to reach high(er) velocities with relatively low loads, but in this case, I was at high pressure from my starting loads, and moderate velocities, although still fairly high.

My method is a ladder/OCW hybrid, so in two occasions, with .2 grain increments in powder I was getting progressively more severe ejector marks and flatter primers with the first three shots.

The bolt lift was still easy, but, what worries me was that with just .2 grains more powder in each case I was able to see the increase in the ejector marks and the primers go from cratered to flattened to totally flat, as the string progressed.

This has happened with two powders now, VV N165 and VV N160.

Also, the accuracy is just terrible, I'm talking 3MOA with both trials.

Next I might try seating close to the lands, to begin with I loaded them so the seal tite belt was just showing out of the case mouth as per their recommendation.

Pulling bullets is getting old, and I don't reuse these ones for load development, just trajectory validation/chronographing once they have been pulled, so it's expensive and annying.

Anyone else experience problems like this?

The only thing that comes to mind for me is to make sure that the barrel is completely cleaned and there is no previous copper fouling in it. We have seen strange pressure spikes on brass without resulting high vel in the case of copper fouled barrels. After extensive cleaning the problem was gone.

Steve

Could have formed a hard carbon ring in the throat as well as fouling. You would need an abrasive cleaner to get this out. do your copper cleaning then borescope it and you will know. Could also try a proven load and see how it shoots.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is to make sure that the barrel is completely cleaned and there is no previous copper fouling in it. We have seen strange pressure spikes on brass without resulting high vel in the case of copper fouled barrels. After extensive cleaning the problem was gone.

Steve

Exactly what I was thinking, been there and done that. If that doesn't work, throw a micrometer on your bullets quick like to ensure there wasn't a manufacturing defect. It's not likely, but possible.

t

We couldn't get them to shoot under 1 Mao in my 257 bee but the Barnes are touching.I little disappointed but the TTSX have performed well on game so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.