FireFlyFishing

All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!

I do shoot the LRX in my Kimber 280AI. Very accurate. I started shooting the monos when Barnes started selling the "ungrooved" offerings. Not very accurate. When they started producing the TSX line I was all over them like a duck on a junebug. I've caught a couple in but 99% produce two holes which increases the leak factor.

My experience with mono's has been limited to HH and Badlands in a 7RM on hand loaded ammo. Mine was a 9.5 twist so it limited me to lighter options. I haven't tried the HHT yet. The HH 131 was the easy button for me, but the 143 should work for your barrel.
If you need a sample pack of of HH, let me know and I'll send you a few to test.

I do shoot the LRX in my Kimber 280AI. Very accurate. I started shooting the monos when Barnes started selling the "ungrooved" offerings. Not very accurate. When they started producing the TSX line I was all over them like a duck on a junebug. I've caught a couple in but 99% produce two holes which increases the leak factor.
I'm with you Carlos. I like two holes myself.

I also tried them when they just offered the X bullet. I didn't have much luck with them.

Last edited:
Cutting Edge bullets have worked great for me. I use them in my 357 Max, 338 Federal, and 6mm TCU. They've always been super easy to load, very consistent, and kill quickly. I use them for most of hunting. Hammer makes the only 140 class 6.5 bullet I've found that stabilizes in a 1:8 barrel, so I run them in my Creedmoor handgun. They were more finicky to load for than the cutting edges I use, but I found a usable load. I'll probably switch to a 120 from Cutting Edge when I run out and see how they do. They all kill just as well as anything but Bergers for me.

My experience with mono's has been limited to HH and Badlands in a 7RM on hand loaded ammo. Mine was a 9.5 twist so it limited me to lighter options. I haven't tried the HHT yet. The HH 131 was the easy button for me, but the 143 should work for your barrel.
If you need a sample pack of of HH, let me know and I'll send you a few to test.
Thanks Mark! I might take you up on that offer. I don't think I'll start load development until late spring as I'm working up a .308 right now. I have 130 grn TTSXs I'm going to use through that rifle.

My opinion would be call your neighbor there in Montana, Hammer bullets and get their recommendation. I have been using them for a few years and am thoroughly impressed with their performance and ease to develop a load recipe. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks Rick. From what I've seen, customer service from Hammer is second to none.

Ive tried Hammer in a 7-08, 338wm and a 338federal

They shoot amazingly accurate in all 3 with little or no development!
The 7-08 has shot 3 WT spike bucks at 100-150yds and each has preformed as advertised using the 113gr shock hammers at 3200fps.

Ive tested each rifle in water jugs and wet phone books and every bullet has expanded as I expected with no issue as well.

Only drawback is the low BC compared to the bullets like Berger and EldM so they are not for extreme long range. At the ranges you mentioned I would use with confidence! Remember to always calculate your impact velocities to find out what your max effective range is.
James

I'd recommend you try Apex Afterburner's
Contact Mark, He will get you squared away. Great Customer Service.
Prompt Delivery, Excellent Product.

Last edited:
Only drawback is the low BC compared to the bullets like Berger and EldM so they are not for extreme long range. At the ranges you mentioned I would use with confidence! Remember to always calculate your impact velocities to find out what your max effective range is.
Bingo! I'm confident in my stalking abilities to get me 800 or less. I'm more concerned with consistent terminal performance at said shot distances. I do use a laser rangefinder as well as a ballistics app for the max terminal effective range.

I'd recommend you try Apex Afterburner's
Contact Mark, He will get you squared away. Great Customer Service.
Prompt Delivery, Excellent Product.

Cool, this is a new company and bullet to research.
Thanks!