I've tried HH and Barnes LRX. Both shoot well but I like the way the Barnes mushrooms and stays together creating entry and exit holes. The bullet weight retention is excellent. The HH are made to come apart which could have some merits but not for me. I shoot the LRX 127 in my 6.5 PRC and the 168 in my 7
i do same -127 gr Lrx on top of vithavouri N560 in my 6.5Prc . gun is Blaser R8 with 26 " barrel and Nightforce NXS on top .
just started with . but looks promising . got the rifle couple months ago but waited 4 months till i got my scope .speed is around 3215 ms

Last edited:
All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!
I have had great luck with Hammer Hunter Bullets. Easiest load development I've experienced. Very accurate and have performed well on everything from pronghorn to elk. The 143gHH shoot amazing in both my 7mag and also my 28 Nosler. The 143 will be the heaviest you can go in the hammer with your twist rate. Good luck.

@FEENIX
That list is amazing and unbelievable too.
No one knows "Boutique" mono information better than you! I often marvel at how helpful your knowledge and links to follow are but...

This list is pure madness. I barely caught myself, a finger tap away from ten rabbit holes. Luckily, I only applied half pound of pressure to my 2 pound mouse. HAHAHA

Thanks for everyone who has chimed in to help a fellow shooter, I have read and also benefited greatly.

I've tried HH and Barnes LRX. Both shoot well but I like the way the Barnes mushrooms and stays together creating entry and exit holes. The bullet weight retention is excellent. The HH are made to come apart which could have some merits but not for me. I shoot the LRX 127 in my 6.5 PRC and the 168 in my 7 PRC.
What load did you come up with for your 7 PRC. I am working up a load with the same bullet. Tried Magpro, and RL 22 because I had them on hand. Looking at trying Vv n560 or 165. Any advise?

FFF- Ive never recovered a bullet yet with I don't know 2-30 animals myself and son etc.The 338 nm exits.Bull I shot with Dozier went 3 steep 200 yard type shot.Ishot a bull, near rear 1/4 w/partition in my 340wby and stopped at brisket neck area.Shot a bull with 300 wiz bang dead on shoulder blade, full mushroom at hide opposite.I have couple boxes of 250 Bergers but 300 OTM for last 14 years in 2 -rifles.Steves at other end of valley from me, we shot archery for years at same pro shop.He is always very helpful.

Found something maybe worth try

Attachments

• IMG_8308.jpeg
    IMG_8308.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 30
I've had great performance with Barnes TTSX in a few rifles. I'm now a Hammer man due to accuracy, ease of loading, performance, and costumer service. Steve has promptly replied to many emails providing load development advice, second to none.

Additionally, I've started to play around with McGuire Ballistics "Copper Rose" and "Steel Slayers". I'm very intrigued by the BC's and performance of these bullets. I'm finding them very accurate and easy to load. Sam McGuire is a friend and neighbor, good people. I haven't taken any game yet but Sam has documented hundreds of kills with his all cooper, definitely worth a look. Sam will respond to any questions, great customer service here as well.

Last edited:
I've started to play around with McGuire Ballistics "Copper Rose" and "Steel Slayers". I'm very intrigued by the BC's and performance of these bullets. I'm finding them very accurate and easy to load. Sam McGuire is a friend and neighbor, good people. I haven't taken any game yet but Sam has documented hundreds of kills with his all cooper, definitely worth a look. Sam will respond to any questions, great customer service here as well.
I like supporting small businesses and products made from my state.