Best Controlled Feed Action???

Well, my best is a 375 H&H built on a 1990's "Classic" Winchester action by Michael Scherz. Amazing rifle. Feeds the long, tapered 375's slick as Rem Oil on a brass doorknob. ;)

bLiT2OXl.jpg

wmuFKZ9l.jpg

kDpFvpll.jpg

But I'd have no problem with a factory 375 Ruger either. Those are some great rifles and a great cartridge too.

Regards, Guy
Thats a vary nice rifle , my pre64 mod70 in 375H&H has been well used buy the previous owner, it doesn't look that nice.

Hard to beat a Winchester pre-64 Model 70. I have had a number of the years and have toted them for work through many seasons with the USFS. My current one is a 1961 model that was originally chambered in 300 H&H. Brockman's Custom rebarreled it, Cerakoted everything, added their great BUIS, and dropped it in a Brown Precision stock. 21" barrel and nicely balanced. Not the Ruger 375 but one of my favorite rifles ever.

They most certainly will not!!

All my factory original Model 70 Winchesters I have previously and currently own would "absolutely" single feed with ease. Unlike many of the Mauser 98 designs, Winchester used a beveled extractor with a spring tension design to allow positive single feeding while still securing the case for controlled feeding. If it doesn't, single feed, I would suspect an incorrect component or assembly of the extractor assembly....

I've single fed my crf bighorn origin a lot. It has the same crf bolt head as a tl3 or sr3. Previously somebody stated that you cant single feed a tl3. So kinda unsure on that tidbit of info.

I've single fed my crf bighorn origin a lot. It has the same crf bolt head as a tl3 or sr3. Previously somebody stated that you cant single feed a tl3. So kinda unsure on that tidbit of info.

I was told not to do that by my gunsmith who both built the rifle and whom I trust so I never tried. It takes maybe 1/2 of a second longer to do what he said so I do it that way. I have an SR3 but don't see any need to try something a respected gunsmith told me not to do. You may be correct as they make single shot receivers and no mention is made of any different bolt face. I sent an email to my gunsmith to see if I "mis-remembered" what he told me. Could be a senior moment at work???

Last edited:
I was told not to do that by my gunsmith who both built the rifle and whom I trust so I never tried. It takes maybe 1/2 of a second longer to do what he said so I do it that way. I have an SR3 but don't see any need to try something a respected gunsmith told me not to do. You may be correct as they make single shot receivers and no mention is made of any different bolt face. I sent an email to my gunsmith to see if I "mis-remembered" what he told me. Could be a senior moment at work???
My buddy and I both built a PRS rifle's using the SA Bighorn TL3. My buddy's single feeds fine, but mine requires an excessive amount of force closing the bolt, so much so that I avoid doing so as a regular practice. He shoots a 6.5CM, I shoot a 6.5x47L. I have no issue feeding from the magazine, but my headspace is pretty tight which might be the cause. Overall, the action performs quite well, but it's clearly not as smooth as my Surgeon 591 with mine,or my buddy's. The pin that retains the exchangeable bolt head can be felt with a ham-handed bolt cycle.

All CF M 70s have a beveled extractor and single feed just fine.

Just like a REMINGTON except 70s always extract unlike Remingtons and bolt handles don't fall off either.
They do have a beveled extractor but they are not designed for nor do they "single feed just fine", If the action is fresh and in good working order it takes a fair amount of force to overcome the claw and will eventually cause damage to the claw and you will eventually see wear on your cartridge head as well

Last edited:
I have been thinking a lot about building a rifle in .375 Ruger. I had thought about just going with the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but I'm not sure that I am fond of the integrated scope mounts and I am not a fan of the 20 inch barrel.

I looked at the BigHorn Arms TL3 and thought it was pretty nice. I am looking for the best controlled feed action that will be suited for the .375 Ruger cartridge. I figured that going with a custom gun over the mass produced variety would give me better accuracy and a slicker bolt should I need to cycle another round in a hurry.

Thanks for all of the input.

Oh, and stock recommendations for said action would be great too.

And because I know someone will ask, I plan on using this rifle for the bigger game in North America. I'm thinking bears and moose. I would believe that all of my shots will be inside 300 yards and I will probably be carrying this rifle around with me on some hunts.

Last edited:
They do have a beveled extractor but they are not designed nor do they "single feed just fine", If the action is fresh and in good working order it takes a fair amount of force to overcome the claw and will eventually cause damage to the claw and you will eventually see wear on your cartridge head as well
While some of the "post" 64 Model 70's display the "force" you speak of, the beveled extractor on the pre- 64 CRF model 70's "were" designed tuned for single round feeding. The spring body is properly tensioned, and the claw hand shaped for seamless feeding, and maximum rim contact area . This is one of the several differences in the Pre-64 design that drives my preference for this action. Based on my experience with all my pre-64 Winchester's, I have seen no damage to the extractor nor case damage. These actions are on track to easily exceed my lifetime......40+years of use. My push feed-spring, and M16 design extractors will have been replaced more then once over this same period...with far more brass/rim case wear. Even if a shooter were paranoid about single feeding a CRF, it takes all of and extra second to push a cartridge into the top position of the magazine. The rim of the cartridge will slip the rim under the claw when the bolt is closed. Not a big deal for a rifle intended for hunting. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.