Best Controlled Feed Action???

While some of the "post" 64 Model 70's display the "force" you speak of, the beveled extractor on the pre- 64 CRF model 70's "were" designed tuned for single round feeding. The spring body is properly tensioned, and the claw hand shaped for seamless feeding, and maximum rim contact area . This is one of the several differences in the Pre-64 design that drives my preference for this action. Based on my experience with all my pre-64 Winchester's, I have seen no damage to the extractor nor case damage. These actions are on track to easily exceed my lifetime......40+years of use. My push feed-spring, and M16 design extractors will have been replaced more then once over this same period...with far more brass/rim case wear. Even if a shooter were paranoid about single feeding a CRF, it takes all of and extra second to push a cartridge into the top position of the magazine. The rim of the cartridge will slip the rim under the claw when the bolt is closed. Not a big deal for a rifle intended for hunting. IMO.
I agree 100% on the Pre 64 actions, They were unreal, The post CRF's and Montana's have been my mainstays and they are rough on single feeding, I'm not saying it cant't be done as it very well can be but to me the force required just isn't worth it IMO and i have seen very visible claw marks on the case head and as you said it takes a second to put one in the mag

I like the defiance rebel with the crf option. Leave as is or you have enough length to put the rum into it. Want to shoot a rum with the long bullets? Put in a wyatts box.

All my factory original Model 70 Winchesters I have previously and currently own would "absolutely" single feed with ease. Unlike many of the Mauser 98 designs, Winchester used a beveled extractor with a spring tension design to allow positive single feeding while still securing the case for controlled feeding. If it doesn't, single feed, I would suspect an incorrect component or assembly of the extractor assembly....
I've seen guys bring them in with the bolts wedged to the point I had to remove the barrel and pry the case out to save the claw, not all Mod 70's single feed perfectly by a LONG shot. Of the three pre 64s I've had here a 06 and 35 Whalen single feed very poor, one in 308 feed like butter but everything about it was modified for target shooting back in the 80's.
Don't get me wrong I love a CRF rifle, they are my preference but they don't some how hold some magical power of perfection just because they are CRF, a lot of them feel good b cause they've been cycled so many times they are half worn out, picking a fresh on off the shelf is a different deal.

All CF M 70s have a beveled extractor and single feed just fine.

Just like a REMINGTON except 70s always extract unlike Remingtons and bolt handles don't fall off either.
I have a bunch of pre64 mod70's and the ones I have taken out to shoot all single feed , pre-war & post- war. One gun that i put a new barrel on changed to a 280Rem I have 525 rounds down range all single feed off a bench.

S
All CF M 70s have a beveled extractor and single feed just fine.

Just like a REMINGTON except 70s always extract unlike Remingtons and bolt handles don't fall off either.
post some of those rifles with busted handles and some of those pre war guns you are using as examples.
Easier for guys to see and believe than read and believe.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of pre64 mod70's and the ones I have taken out to shoot all single feed , pre-war & post- war. One gun that i put a new barrel on changed to a 280Rem I have 525 rounds down range all single feed off a bench.
why would you shoot 500+ rounds single feed? I'm scratching my head, if it's a killer single proves nothing and if it's a single banger y would you pick a whinny?
Those 280 bench rest rifles never lose.
🤣

Last edited:
D3560712-7908-4C33-A088-856E8959FA62.jpeg

my 721 is a 🔨 but I shoot.
B91D9E7B-12D6-49A3-99B2-87748895EEF0.jpeg

Way off subject but just an example!

Last edited:
why would you shoot 500+ rounds single feed? I'm scratching my head, if it's a killer single proves nothing and if it's a single banger y would you pick a whinny?
Those 280 bench rest rifles never lose.
🤣
I've always loaded one at a time when shooting from a bench. That was how my Grandpa taught me , when shooting to sight in a rifle or just shooting for fun. It was a safety thing for Gramps. I'd spend all my summers with my grandparents as a young kid ,in the 1970's , we would shoot one round in the gun at a time almost every day of the week all summer long. But sometimes he'd let me shoot out the truck window with the 10/22 at jackrabbit never ever shot the 10/22 from a bench only out the truck window.

Nice rifle
Thank you!
my grandma taught me to shoot! I wasn't big enough to knock my granddads Winchester single shot 22lr. She would sit with me on the back porch and pull that single plunger back 500 rounds a day.

Mine wears a benchmark 9t #6 contour.
you will enjoy how consistent benchmark makes there barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.