Idaho 8001 controlled hunt

kariutta

I was lucky enough to draw a tag for the idaho 8001 controlled hunt. I have hunted chukar in the lower elevations but has anyone hunted bears in unit 22 or 31?

I have a handful of spots picked out on on-x but I'm just going to wing it and see what they look like when I get there. Going mid May, have about 5 days for just hunting.

I drew the fall hunt last year. Biggest disappointment of my life. I found out after my hunt that fish and game had opened the unit to all hunters 2.5 years ago. You can now hunt the whole draw area within one mile of private and or cultivated land. There are specs of private land all over those areas now. I hunted 3 days and gave up. To many hunters pounding the ground with dogs. I truly hope your hunts go way better than mine.

Brian

I have a handful of spots picked out on on-x but I'm just going to wing it and see what they look like when I get there. Going mid May, have about 5 days for just hunting.
I'd recommend a guide with hounds or with bait piles. Five years ago Idaho's trespassing laws changed to put the responsibility on hunters to know and to stay off private land. Posting is no longer required and permission slips are. On-X is essential. The Texan Wilkes brothers bought up thousands of acres of lumber land. That change and the increase in wolves in the Weiser River area has made big game hunting success drop dramatically. Hence, a guide is so important.

Baiting is prohibited, I have no interest in using hounds, and I picked out areas on onx that are far away from private land.

Recent Posts