Best Controlled Feed Action???

Actually was looking at a AG this evening but need to contact them and see if they Inlet for a Mack bro evo I have two getting barrels screwed on and need a stock for one.

The only issue with the new Model 70 compared to the pre-64 is the 2 piece bolt/handle. The pre-64 is a one piece design. All post 64's, including the CRF model have the bolt handle press fit to the bolt body with a serrated sleeve. These have been known to slip/fail with heavy use rendering the bolt inoperable. While this failure may be rare, for use with dangerous game it is recommended that the sleeve be spot welded to the bolt body by a gunsmith to insure its integrity. This was surely the case with the Hartford models. I'm uncertain whether this was addressed with the more current models since Winchester was acquired.
You made me go look with that statement. I have several post '64 CRF M70s, circa 1995, the "Classic" models. They appear to be one piece bold. To me it appears that the bolt body and handle are one piece, but I am not an expert.

Actually was looking at a AG this evening but need to contact them and see if they Inlet for a Mack bro evo I have two getting barrels screwed on and need a stock for one.
I new id talked to you before I just received 2 of the Macbros SS EVO actions you have a Ti action

I think that is kind of my point. A good working or even pretty fancy CRF rifle can be had for $4000 - $7500. This is my issue with the $15000 and up builders. They do make good rifle and have customers lined out the door!

My next rifle fits this category pretty well....sure, I'm not asking for custom machined scope mounts or 5 panel checkered bolt knobs, but it will still be a nice rifle.

IMO, a good trued action is $900 - $1600; a good fiberglass or carbon fiber stock is under $1000; a premium wood stock with all the bells and whistles is about $4000; a good barrel chambered in what you want, with sights is about $1000; a premium hunting optic is about $1000
I have a WIN M70 "Classic" stainless paid about $1000 and a WIN M70 made around 2013 I believe. Alaskan, Stainless Laminate, both in 375 H&H. I added muzzle brakes, kept the front iron sight and have Quick Detached Leupold Rings with 1.5-5 Leupold scope. Good for Cape Buffalo. In the brush, you remove the scope, shoot iron sight. In the open, use the scope. Whole system coast less than $2,500 each.

I've seen guys bring them in with the bolts wedged to the point I had to remove the barrel and pry the case out to save the claw, not all Mod 70's single feed perfectly by a LONG shot. Of the three pre 64s I've had here a 06 and 35 Whalen single feed very poor, one in 308 feed like butter but everything about it was modified for target shooting back in the 80's.
Don't get me wrong I love a CRF rifle, they are my preference but they don't some how hold some magical power of perfection just because they are CRF, a lot of them feel good b cause they've been cycled so many times they are half worn out, picking a fresh on off the shelf is a different deal.
I have several WIN M70 Classic, CRF, all can close on single feed, but require a little force. I have not checked my Ruger M77 to see.
My Push Feed are Remington and Weatherbys. They all single feed easily.
I love them ALL.
When I go for Cape or dangerous game, I will take my M70 Alaskan 375 H&H,
If I go for Bear, long range, I will take my MK V, 338 LM
My motto is ..Learn your firearm, use it for what is meant and you will do well

You made me go look with that statement. I have several post '64 CRF M70s, circa 1995, the "Classic" models. They appear to be one piece bold. To me it appears that the bolt body and handle are one piece, but I am not an expert.
Below are pictures of the pre-64 Model 70 one piece welded bolt handle(top), and, a Apprix 20 year old Hartford, Ct, CRF Model 70(bottom).
The white arrow points to a sleeve connected to the bolt handle that is cerated on the interior side, and press-fit to the bolt body. I also have a few post 64's That have seen heavy use and never had any issue, but knew a couple of people With early models.that had them separate. Not sure if Winchester had fixed the issue at some point.

BA2D8C77-71AD-4FB6-B1D4-975AD2BFD45B.jpeg
7656E909-E0D6-457D-9838-775549FC3AB7.jpeg

Maybe I can't see it on my rifles. Like I said, I am not an expert on this. I will take pictures tomorrow

I have two of them at my smiths. Ones gonna be a creedmoor or a 7-08 AI and one Is gonna be a 308. I absolutely love my TI.
I think you are right. It is hard to tell, but I think its a two piece. Learned something new

Go with a stock Ruger Alaskan! I have one in 375 Ruger, love the Hogue stock, handle's great and mine shoots 1/2" with 250 grain Barnes TTSX and RL-15. One of my favorite rifles and I own many customs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.