Best 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifle for deer

I think most rifles are sub moa nowadays, even in the sub $500 price range. Ruger predator, Savage 110 are both good option. I agree with others who said go a little bit more and get a tikka if you can.

I dunno about the "best" 6.5 CM for deer but I know which 6.5 Creedmoor deer rifle I am building. It's a re-barreled SAVAGE 99 C (magazine) lever gun that will get an octagonal Bartlein barrel and a Weineg custom stock.
Thankfully the 6.5 CM was designed to fit .308 magazines.
Even before this "science project" began that rifle had an amazingly good trigger for a lever gun. That inspired me to do a re-build on 6.5 CM.
Eric B.

I think the American is a solid choice, I'm just thinking Tikka cause I like the stock better and the American isn't that much less now, if I could get the American for under 400 I would go for it, I had a 308 American I bought for 299.00, should have kept it but wasn't hunting at the time.

I dunno about the "best" 6.5 CM for deer but I know which 6.5 Creedmoor deer rifle I am building. It's a re-barreled SAVAGE 99 C (magazine) lever gun that will get an octagonal Bartlein barrel and a Weineg custom stock.
Thankfully the 6.5 CM was designed to fit .308 magazines.
Even before this "science project" began that rifle had an amazingly good trigger for a lever gun. That inspired me to do a re-build on 6.5 CM.
Eric B.
Wow, that will be a nice gun! I remember back around 1998 or so my brother double tapped 2 South AR. Hogs with a 99 in 308.
He shouldn't have sold that jewel.

My Wife's favorite rifle is a 6.5x55 but I bought her a Ruger Predator in 6.5CM and it shoots better than a "budget rifle" should. It will shoot many factory loads under MOA, a 140 A-Max load I worked up at 1/2" and her hunting load with the 140 Nosler Partition running 2820 fps at 3/4".
They cost around 380-400.00 when I bought, now sometimes they run close to 500.00. I would likely now spring for a Tikka if I could get one for 100-125.00 more.

Nomosendero, I HAD a 6.5 CM RUGER predator like yer wife's with a Timney trigger, Savage 110 metal trigger guard (fits perfectly) and a BOYD'S laminated brown Classic cheekpiece stock. I could get the SAME accuracy, 1/2 MOA, with it as with my 6.5 CM RUGER Precision rifle!

BUT... I sold it because the the Predator had NO **** bolt lock and I lost 2 cartridges in two days while hunting in heavy brush. WHAT THE HELL? RUGER is too cheap to put in a bolt lock!

Last edited:
Run the actions on Tikka , savage , howa ,.Ruger ,etc from the prone position. Then pick. Does Ruger make the American in stainless? I have a blued 22 American and it rusts if I looks at it funny. Steel and/ or the bluing seems very poor. And it's the inside of the barrel I worry about most. Can't cerakoted that.

My wife has a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CR. She picked out a Vortex Diamondback scope for it. Really great gun for the money. She was shooting small steel plates at 300 yards last week. Highly recommend this setup for the money.

I read in a review that replacing the stock plastic trigger guard with a metal one makes it more accurate, I'll try and find it but doesn't make sense to me, does anyone know about this?