Lenght of barrel for 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifle

horsefor4

Been kicking around building a 6.5 creedmoor I have read from 22" to 26" need some advice don't care much for short barreled rifles. I will be using 700 short action it has been worked over ready for a barrel.

yep, 26" is what I went with on the last one.

I am getting 2850 fps with 140 vld's without pushing it hard.

26" gave me great velocity and accuracy on mine. But I Love short barrels so I hacked mine off and finished it @ 18.6". It shoots just as accurately. I lost 150-200 fps velocity but this is my general purpose winter hunting rifle and so far it is making good 1 shot kills on caribou. Even at 360 yards. . Farthest I've had a shot so far. .
26" will get you the velocity for long range tho.

I ended up going 260. Rem vs 6.5 creed but barrel length will matter the same. I went with 26" for the added velocity for the longer pokes. I also like the stability of a longer heavier barrel but that's my preference.

I just had a 6.5cm built and I went with a 24" barrel as a compromise since this is a hunting rifle. I'm in the middle of load development so I don't have any velocities yet. For the type hunting I do, the 24" is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts