Hunting Bullet for 6.5 Creedmoor

Lpart

I have a new Cooper Model 54 in 6.5 Creemoor. Looking for the best bullet for hunting antelope, deer and occasionally elk out to 600 yards. Interest in comments on 140 gr bullets for Berger VLD Hunting, Berger Elite Hunter, Hornady 143 gr ELD-X and Scirroco II 130 gr.

Looking for accuracy and comments on performance on game at these ranges. Particulary interested on actual game performance comparison on the two Bergers.

Took our 11 year old Grandson out this year on a mentored elk hunt. Loaned him a 6.5-06 ai loaded with the berger 140 vld. Found a small herd of elk and got on their tracks. Caught up with them and got him set up on a cow at 200 yards. He shot her right behind the shoulders about mid body. She stumbled and went out of site. We didn't wait (probably should have). When we approached the last area we seen her, she got up and we had to track her for a 100 yards or so. She was down again and had him put another in the rib cage. That stopped her for good. We did the gutless method so didn't locate either bullet. Neither went clear throw her. First at 200 yards hit a rib causing a fair amout of damage and blood shot. Penetrated enough to cause a fair amount of bleeding. Second shot at 50 yards made a pencil hole in her side and she just dropped head and that as it. Don't know if that helps you or not but that is our experience with the 140 vld.

Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me. I used them a few years ago with concerns. Had bad luck with .308 185 gr hunter in Africa. Used the 215's last year in my 300WSM and good results on antelpe and sheep.

This is why I am asking for other's inputs to help me decide. I don't know if the Elite Hunter is different enough to make a difference.

I've been using the 142 LRAB in both my 264 WM and my 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede clocks in at 2800 and the 264 @ 3200. Both shoot bug-holes.
I took my elk this year with the 264. First shot through both shoulders and exited. Second, finishing shot nicked a twig and went through the pelvis and stopped on the underside of the off shoulder. That bullet still weighed in at 59.9 gr.
I've taken a couple of axis out to 200 yards with the Swede. Entrance and exited on all of them. Might give those a look.

I've shoot piles of elk and deer with the 140 Berger hunting, only bullet I've shot that I never had to shoot game twice with at some point, the Matrix bullets are very good also. Have no desire to shoot the ELD or ABLR again on game. I have only had one 140 Berger not exit on a heavy quartering shoulder hit on a big cow, pin hole in and 2 inch carnage in the middle and a nice exit is the norm with no blood shot.

Ill add that I have first hand experience with 140 ELD match on elk with the creedmoor, they perform similar to berger, shallow penetration, big wound cavity's with no exits.

this performance actually works very well for us.

Any of the mentioned bullets are good options. It comes down to what your rifle likes and what you choose in the end. The Hornady ELD bullets in the 6.5mm are ballistically superior to most of what is out there and are a great bullet for the price and performance, that is what I would start with. Next I would try Berger's new 140GR Elite Hunter if the Hornady's did not group for whatever reason. Both the Hornady and Berger will perform similar to one another on game.

I have a new Cooper Model 54 in 6.5 Creemoor. Looking for the best bullet for hunting antelope, deer and occasionally elk out to 600 yards. Interest in comments on 140 gr bullets for Berger VLD Hunting, Berger Elite Hunter, Hornady 143 gr ELD-X and Scirroco II 130 gr.

Looking for accuracy and comments on performance on game at these ranges. Particulary interested on actual game performance comparison on the two Bergers.

I´ve had great results with Berger 140´s and Had never tried the 143 ELD-X on game, but they shoot very nicely. Excellent groups.
On the other hand, I´ve tried Sirocco II bullets on my 7mm rem mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 GAP, .264 win mag and 243 win and never had a decent group, and by decent I mean at least 1 MOA. the best one was a very mild load from my 243 win and it was 1.5 MOA wich is not acceptable for me. At first I tought maybe that particular rifle didn´t like the bullets, but after trying them on different rifles and different calibers I have to blame the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.