6.5 creedmoor for target and deer hunting

TC338

Which rifle would you guys recommend and why? I'm looking at several different options. Savage long range hunter, savage long range precision, ruger precision, and on the very top end a Christensen arms. I will mainly be shooting paper and hunting deer out to 600-700 yards. Trying to stay around $1200-$1500.

For that price range I'd recommend a Savage build. Diy friendly no smith required. My savage creedmoor build came in at 1300. I went with a Criterion barrel and I've taken it out to 1000 once and it held sub .5 moa. Hoping once the ground dries up to get back out and try it again and further.

If your looking for just a factory gun then Savage all the way. I've had good luck with 3 savages all .5 moa rifles or under. If your planning on hunting then I'd steer away from the lrp due to weight and get the 111 lrh

Just depends if you need to carry the rifle or just hunting from a hide.

RPR and Savage LRP are basically target rifles and weigh 10.5 ~ 11 lbs.
The Savage LRH is mid weight at 8.5 lbs. with a 26" barrel
A Christensen Mesa is about 6.5 lbs. with a 22" barrel

The LRH is a great balance between the others. Its a rifle you can carry and has enough weight and barrel mass and length do be a dependable target and 700 yard hunting rifle.

Like the other guys said, I would get the LRH

I have a RPR for target shooting. It shoots down to .5 MOA and maybe less, but I'm a crappy shot and shoot .7 MOA most of the time (5 shot groups). I also have a Ruger American Preditor for hunting. It's smaller and lighter which is much better for hunting. Both guns are in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both really great shooters out of the box. If you shopped around, I bet you could buy both for $1,500. Lol.

This is from a savage predator in 6.5 creed at 300 yards.

image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.