Rifle cartridge for long range target AND deer hunting

As mentioned earlier, any of the 6.5's. I favor the ones with the small primer pockets. They'll give you amazing brass life on the already great brass that's available.

I have put many 1000's of rounds through the 6.5's for many years for hunting, competition, and simply banging various targets at long range. My attraction to the 6.5 began with the 260 which has served me exceptionally well in all of the disciplines. Of late, between my various 6.5's, for targets/competition, the 6.5x47 Lapua has won my heart. I really like the case design/Lapua Brass, still looking like new with 15+ reloads, no annealing, and still exceptionally accurate, holding 1's and 2's with single digit ES. Add long range hunting beyond 600-700 yards,the '47's big brother, the 6.5x284 steps in. Driving a 140 gr VLD at 3000FPS, it has a nice balance of match grade accuracy, ballistic performance, and low recoil, with "no fuss" reloading. IMO.

Last edited:
I have put many 1000's of rounds through the 6.5's For many years for hunting, competition, and simply banging various targets at long range. My attraction to the 6.5 began with the 260 which has served me exceptionally well in all of the disciplines. Of late, between my various 6.5's, for targets/competition, the 6.5x47 Lapua has won my heart. I really like the case design/Lapua Brass, still looking like new with 15+ reloads, no annealing, and still exceptionally accurate, holding 1's and 2's with single digit ES. Add long range hunting beyond 600-700 yards,the '47's big brother, the 6.5x284 takes steps in. Driving a 140 gr VLD at 3000FPS, it has a nice balance of match grade accuracy, ballistic performance, and low recoil, with "no fuss" reloading. IMO.

What Greyfox said

well since you're going to reload, what about the 6.5-06. run heavy bullets @ 3000+ fps, brass is everywhere! it's amazing for a long range target and hunting load. have taken whitetail all the way out to 875yds with mine. I'm getting 3015fps with mine with 3/8" average grouping.

Take a hard look at 6.5x47 Lapua. It is the most inherently accurate chambering I have encountered, as well as the easiest to load for. Ballistics are great with a Berger 130 Hybrid going 2950. Cases and barrels last forever, and Lapua brass is perfect right out of the box. In my opinion it is the best of the medium capacity 6.5s.

I too think the 6.5x47 is a sweetheart. I built up a cheap Remington 783 in this caliber. I'm shooting 123 gr. Lapua's with some RL-15. What a great rifle to shoot. It has a way of making you look like you know what your doing. I have at least 30 firings on the brass. I stopped counting. I annealed once just because but they're still going strong. At that rate, 100 pieces of brass might last through a couple of barrels, and the barrels last a long time. Feeding, extraction, accuracy and reliability seem great, and this is just a cheap-o action. Can't figure out why the military hasn't adopted it.

Also picked up a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor Longrange Hunter on sale. It had a couple minor bolt issues but once sorted out, it now shoots 143 gr. Hornady's like a match gun. With a fixed 10x scope, it pretty much covers any open country need I can think of.

These short action 6.5's have a way of helping the shooter rather than needing to be tamed.

I have a Model 7 Remington in .260.
It works great on deer and hogs using a 120grn Sierra Matchking bullet, little recoil for such a light rifle.
I also have a Kimber 84M in 6.5 Creedmoor. I took 3 deer between 200 and 237 yards with it this past November. I used a factory Hornady Superformance GMX bullet that shoots sub MOA.
Both rifles are a good choice without killer recoil. I'm trying to duplicate the factory load, have just this weekend started but so far no successful.

I also like the 243. I just ordered one for my 8 year old son yesterday and also a Savage like HuntMeister & W33kender mentioned. Except I ordered the Savage Model 16/116 Lightweight Hunter which is a small synthetic/stainless bolt action. I think it is perfect for hunting anywhere for 200 yards and under and would be great for a blind/shooting house. I plan on using it myself. 243 ammo is available everywhere. Savage has a $75 rebate available right now as well.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the name's meaning. Some folks pick random names not realizing what they chose.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the name's meaning. Some folks pick random names not realizing what they chose.

Should have been spelled Molock, my bad. I'll change it, don't want anyone sacrificing their children on my behalf for sure...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.