Long range hunting cartridge 6.5 or 7mm

Scale124

Looking to get a long range gun for hunting I have been interested in 6.5 saum, 7 lrm and 7 rem mag. All offer mild recoil. What would you guys prefer and why? I know the 6.5 saum would be the hardest to reload for. And the 7's offer better bullet selection. Hunting will be done in Hawaii with black tail and axis deer being the largest game besides feral pigs. I usually use a 308 or 300 rsaum.

6.5mm and 7mm are great calibre's for that size game, Australia is very similar, my long range rifles are 6.5x47, 7mm RM, 7mmWby and 308. If I could only choose 1 rifle it would be the 7mm rem as it so versatile and the availability of factory ammunition is a huge plus.

Almost any 6.5mm or 7mm will get the job done out to 1000 yards. if you like tinkering with stuff 6.5mm saum with a no turn neck would be the ticket. If factory ammo is a consideration 7mm mag.

For available ammo and 'fuss' free, then the straight up 7 mag. For shooting game as what you have identified, then a 6.5 of some kind. Not sure if would be the SAUM.

Looking to get a long range gun for hunting I have been interested in 6.5 saum, 7 lrm and 7 rem mag. All offer mild recoil. What would you guys prefer and why? I know the 6.5 saum would be the hardest to reload for. And the 7's offer better bullet selection. Hunting will be done in Hawaii with black tail and axis deer being the largest game besides feral pigs. I usually use a 308 or 300 rsaum.

My go-to deer rifle is a 7mm RemMag, and has been for well over a decade. It's an exceptional caliber, and one that still holds relevance, ever since its introduction in 1962.

My recommendation is the Berger 168 VLD's. You get a great combination of knock-down and velocity.

I shot several exotics i.e fallow, blackbuck, axis with the .260 Remington (Hornady 129sp) and the 6.5x284 ( using 120/125 Nosler only) and the 6.5x284 was the more spectacular killer. Even the 6.5 Sherman sounds like it would be the ticket for your type of hunts.

There has been a lot of good press on the 7 lrm, however it is somewhat of a
Proprietary item. The only place I know that has availability of loaded ammo or cases for reloading is through Gun Werks. Case are $1.30 something each.
I am also considering this round, but not sure the longevity of the round. Hate to have a rifle where ammo/components are not available in the long term future.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.