7mm cartridge choice for long monolithics

MTMagpie

Hey all,

New here, new to rifle building, and looking for opinions. I'm planning on building a rifle this winter/spring with the goal of pushing a 177gr Hammer Hunter @ ~3000fps, but I'm really stuck on cartridge and action choices. It's a long bullet @ 1.665"... I had originally planned on doing a budget-ish build on a tikka, but any cartridge capable of what I'm looking for appears to be COAL limited in that tikka-length action/mag. So I'm just looking for some general input, advice from anyone with experience with any of this, or anything really. No matter the action/cartridge, I'll be putting a 1:8 twist barrel on it. I should say, I don't ever plan on shooting factory ammo, only my own loads.

7mm RM - Likely COAL limited in a tikka, otherwise good candidate. Would have to go with a Rem700 clone. Easy to find components. Annoying belt. Hard to rationalize building a 7mm RM with a 1:8 when they're so easy to come by with decent factory barrels.

7 WSM - Might fit in a tikka action? Hard to find components. Short neck is a con.

7 SAUM - Might fit in a tikka action? Impossible to find brass. Otherwise a good choice.

7 SS - Might fit in a tikka action? Brass is actually available! Way bigger startup cost for brass, dies, etc.

.284 Win - Honestly, I don't know enough about this cartridge.

280AI - Likely COAL limited in a tikka, otherwise good candidate. Would have to go with a Rem700 clone. Brass is rare.

28 Nosler - Just too much oomph for me.

7 PRC - Likely COAL limited in a tikka, otherwise good candidate. Would have to go with a Rem700 clone. Still can't find brass. And my ego doesn't want to let me become a f@nboy for a new cartridge.

So if anyone's been down this road or has a suggestion for a cartridge I've missed, please let me know. I'm just having a hard time deciding.

Well...if'n ya want to go this a different route....I've a AntiX l/a screwed together with a 22" cfproof 65284 that I could pull apart....it would run as a 280ai...box had been lengthened before I bought it...
action is milled liteweight....with 20moa rail.......I'm in se idaho....heading north next month..maybe twice....

7SS, 7 MAX, or even 7 MEGA everything always in stock.

Do you think 3000fps is achievable in the 7SS with the 177gr HH or would you step up to the 7 MAX in that case? I guess more is typically better, but I'm still curious . I'm thinking one of these short magnums in a Tikka might be the combo I'm searching for.

Do you think 3000fps is achievable in the 7SS with the 177gr HH or would you step up to the 7 MAX in that case? I guess more is typically better, but I'm still curious . I'm thinking one of these short magnums in a Tikka might be the combo I'm searching for.
180 Berger will reach 3000 at near max pressure in a 26" barreled SS. Never tried the Hammer? The Max likely would be a safe bet and the mega will run a 180 to 3200

180 Berger will reach 3000 at near max pressure in a 26" barreled SS. Never tried the Hammer? The Max likely would be a safe bet and the mega will run a 180 to 3200
The 177HH is even longer than the 180 Berger VLD. I think it'd depend on how he has the barrel chambered. He'll need to seat it pretty long to maintain the case capacity.

I'm leaning toward the 7 SAUM, 7 SS, or 7 MAX at this point just from the standpoint of being able to fit it into a Tikka action. Didn't realize 7 SAUM brass was readily available, though I honestly didn't look to hard.

I'll probably run a 22" barrel to run it with a can in the future. That probably pushes me toward the 7 MAX to make up for the lost velocity in barrel length. Can 7 MAX brass be found fully formed or does it still require some fire forming? Fire forming's not a deal breaker, but it's really nice not to have to do it!

I'm leaning toward the 7 SAUM, 7 SS, or 7 MAX at this point just from the standpoint of being able to fit it into a Tikka action. Didn't realize 7 SAUM brass was readily available, though I honestly didn't look to hard.

I'll probably run a 22" barrel to run it with a can in the future. That probably pushes me toward the 7 MAX to make up for the lost velocity in barrel length. Can 7 MAX brass be found fully formed or does it still require some fire forming? Fire forming's not a deal breaker, but it's really nice not to have to do it!
7 max is ready to load, fully formed

If I was you and running a heavy Hammer, I'd really look at the 170 gr HHT. The velocity looks acheivable. The 177 gr requires a 7.5 twist.