7mm cartridge choice for long monolithics

7 max is ready to load, fully formed
That might settle it for me then.

If I was you and running a heavy Hammer, I'd really look at the 170 gr HHT. The velocity looks acheivable. The 177 gr requires a 7.5 twist.

Thanks for catching that, you're probably right about the 170gr HHT being a better fit here. I did read that the expansion threshold for those HHT's is around 1700fps, which is exciting.

I think the Sherman is a great idea. I just built a 7 PRC on a Tikka action with a 26" Proof carbon fiber and will be running the 170gr HHT this year. I am running them at 3130 fps with rl26. I am guessing the Sherman will be a bit more potent.
That's a killer combo you got right there. 👍 What's you COAL? You wouldn't have a photo of a loaded case to show us, would you? 😉

I'm leaning toward the 7 SAUM, 7 SS, or 7 MAX at this point just from the standpoint of being able to fit it into a Tikka action. Didn't realize 7 SAUM brass was readily available, though I honestly didn't look to hard.

I'll probably run a 22" barrel to run it with a can in the future. That probably pushes me toward the 7 MAX to make up for the lost velocity in barrel length. Can 7 MAX brass be found fully formed or does it still require some fire forming? Fire forming's not a deal breaker, but it's really nice not to have to do it!
I'd recommend you stick with the 7SAUM.

I think the Sherman is a great idea. I just built a 7 PRC on a Tikka action with a 26" Proof carbon fiber and will be running the 170gr HHT this year. I am running them at 3130 fps with rl26. I am guessing the Sherman will be a bit more potent.
That was my original path for this build, but i'd seen too many posts about people running into COAL limitations in the Tikka action/mag. That and brass is still hard to come by.

I have a 7max built on a tika action. I didn't do the load development for it and has a 20 inch barrel. It has two bullets that have loads developed for it. The 180 berger vld and the 175 eldx. Both are just short of 3000 fps using h1000. Very nice shooting rifle.

That's a killer combo you got right there. 👍 What's you COAL? You wouldn't have a photo of a loaded case to show us, would you? 😉
Here is a pic that I took at the bench when doing load development.

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_120524870.jpg
    IMG_20230920_120524870.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 40