Low recoil long range cartridge

*Cough* heh...some of us live in states like California... /sigh... One Day I WILL live in a free state! Then again with the way hunting laws seem to be going it may not be all that long before the Free states join the ranks of us Californians :(

That said, I still enjoy target shooting with Bergers :)

Gary

Good point. We Texians may just have to secede some day. ;-)

Again dont mean to **** anyone off but i am against using target bullets for hunting. If i decide i want to load up some target bullets for long range practice i would then load up some bergers

Not ****ing me off at all... berger makes some **** Fine straight up Hunting Bullets my friend. I should have added in a wink when I said "Targets"... it is not legal to kill anything here in Cali with leaded ammo...

For short to intermediate range the Barnes all copper / Hornady Copper bullets are absolutely great! For long range... they are not really so great, just a fact. I use Barnes, and I use Hornady GMX, both have their place in my Cali Preffered hunting arsenal, but for long range the berger hunting VLDs come out to play.

In fact... I have been working on a design for a .277 Ruger Mag that is literally designed around the Berger EOL 170gr *Hunting* bullet. This is literally meant to kill up to and including Elk sized targets at 1k as it would deliver a minimum of 1800 fps and 1k ft.lbs of energy out to 1k. Sorry for Off Topic post.. but just saying right tool for the job is all...

Happy Hunting my friend!
Gary

Riley,

I don't know how often you shoot game animals at really long range. If you often do, then you know the challenges with ranging, doping wind, etc.

The key is to practice with the rifle and ammo and at the distances (preferably beyond) where you'll be hunting so that you learn and know your own limitations. Then, run the numbers to see if you believe the terminal ballistics will support you.

So, pick your favorite Barnes bullets and the cartridge of your choice and go practice and determine your own limits. Once you do that, all of the opinions and marketing hype take a back seat.

I've hunted with a lot of bullets/conditions and good shot placement usually has a happy ending and poor placement leads to frustration.

As to your OP, 6.5x284 is a very competent cartridge. I've never run anything other than SMK and Bergers in several of mine. With short barrel life, I'm not likely to experiement with others. But, I'm sure it'll shoot Barnes, Nosler, or any other bullet as well as any 6.5mm cartridge. Unless you want more recoil with a 264WM or less recoil with 260 Rem.

Let us know what you decide and how that works out.

-- richard

Again dont mean to **** anyone off but i am against using target bullets for hunting. If i decide i want to load up some target bullets for long range practice i would then load up some bergers

Your choice. Lots of shooters feel this way, but you may limit ypur ability to maximize your long range hunting potential based on a belief that many have proven flawed.

I predict a 26 caliber rifle barrel shooting bullets out as fast as you want will keep 3/4 MOA accuracy (if you shoot it that well) at 1000 yards for no more than 500 rounds. If the barrel and your ammo shoot only 1-1/2 MOA at 1000, it will probably last 900 rounds.

I predict a 26 caliber rifle barrel shooting bullets out as fast as you want will keep 3/4 MOA accuracy (if you shoot it that well) at 1000 yards for no more than 500 rounds. If the barrel and your ammo shoot only 1-1/2 MOA at 1000, it will probably last 900 rounds.

BartB,

There you go again basing long range accuracy predictions off of consistent/repeatable performance rather than the smallest group a rifle ever shot at 100yds. :)

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts