Short barrel/short range target/deer cartridges

rangerdanger

I'm working on a short barrel/short range target/deer rifle and need input on caliber selection. Looks like 308 and 7-08 are good options for short barrel efficiency and smooth cycling but I'd like something that is more suited for target shooting when not hunting. I'm looking at 6BR 6dasher 6Lapua 6xc 6.5lapua. Hunting small white tails at around 100. I need it to run smooth thru a 700 bdl magazine. Probably 16.5 to 20 inch heavy barrel. I appreciate any info on how I could expect these cartridges to perform with this setup.

A guy I shoot with has a 19" 6.5x47 and it's awesome at moderate ranges . Lapua brass is a bonus also

I doubt the BR and dasher would feed well with the standard mag box. You'd probably end up using a center feed Wyatts for reliable feeding. The 6/6.5 Lapua and 6XC will feed well with a factory box and follower.

Another option for a hunting/target shooting cartridge is the 260 rem or 260 ai.

I vote for the 6.5X47. I don't however have a short barreled version. It is a very accurate round and efficient. Barrel life from what I have seen should be in that 2700-3000 rounds. Maybe even a bit more. I run a 26" on mine and shoot 130 Bergers at 3000 fps. Wouldn't surprise me if you could get them going 2750-2850 out of a 20" barrel.

I like the 6.5x47L and I will likely go with that but I was hoping to find something that would be a little less recoil and cheaper to reload (lapua/berger). Im really looking something that shoots and reloads like the 6BR and feeds and extracts like a 7-08 (best feeding that ive owned). 6.5Grend or 300BLK may be some good options but I dont know anyone that has them in repeating bolt rifles.

My 6.5X47 Has virtually no recoil. It is heavy though at 15.5 lbs complete with a 4 port brake. I just finished building another one that will finish at 8 lbs complete with a 5-25X52 Z5 BT. Haven't shot this one yet as the stock is getting Hydro Dipped. It wears a 25" Benchmark #3 fluted. For those closer range shots you could go with a cheaper bullet if you want. Also mine has no feeding or extraction problems. It is a full Custom built by R BROS on a Defiance action. Second one is a Remington 700 SA blue printed and trued. I don't look at Lapua brass as expensive because of the quality and longevity. I have read of guys washing out a X47 barrel on their original 100 Lapua brass!!

Some are saying that it's hard to find a 6.5X47L Berger book load that shoots over .5 at 100 out of a quality setup. Are yal seeing the same thing?

Yes I totally agree. I do not know where my load falls as far as book goes. It was developed by Travis at R BROS who built my rifle. He sent me a dummy round with a load that I have been shooting. No need to change it as it will hold well under half MOA all the way out to 1000 yds. I have got flamed by guys saying my load is not safe and there is no way I can be shooting a 130 Berger at 3000 fps. Well this is what it does and I have total faith in what Travis developed for this rifle. He assured me I was below max for this rifle. From what I have read is that the 6.5X47 is not fussy at all. I would not of built a second 6.5X47 for a carry rifle if I had problems. It has quickly become one of my favorite guns to shoot. Very efficient case that holds its own with the 260 and Creedmore. The later two can maybe get a bit more speed but not enough for me to even consider changing.

I like the 6.5x47L and I will likely go with that but I was hoping to find something that would be a little less recoil and cheaper to reload (lapua/berger). Im really looking something that shoots and reloads like the 6BR and feeds and extracts like a 7-08 (best feeding that ive owned). 6.5Grend or 300BLK may be some good options but I dont know anyone that has them in repeating bolt rifles.

Howa offers a factory 6.5 Grendel, but not sure how accurate it is. And I heard rumor CZ is going to be offering a 6.5 Grendel varmint rifle sometime this year. I also have a 6.5 Grendel, but it's a 24" AR that I built. I want to build one on a 700 or Model 7 SA.

As for .300 BLK, I posted a link to one in my first post. http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ge-target-deer-cartridges-184503/#post1294704

I have no problem with the Creedmore. But if Lapua brass is available buy it. I am in Canada and can get 6.5X47 Lapua brass for about $135 per 100. So with our weak dollar that would put you right at $100 US. With all the expenses we occur in this hobby what's $1 per piece of quality brass?

When I was recovering from a neck fusion back in 2000, I had a Mod 700 in 6x47 ( 222 magnum/6mm) wildcat made up. It had a 27" Shilen barrel and I necked up 222 Magnum Remington brass ( Nosler makes it now) with one pass to 6mm. I loaded the 85gr XBT bullet to 2900fps (243 speeds) with popcorn poot recoil. I don't remember the exact charge now but it was BLC2 powder. I killed an axis doe, a big axis buck and a big scimitar horned oryx with no problems! It was very accurate and a cutey of a cartridge. I had the bolt face opened up/Sako extractor and rechambered to 243. I should have left it alone....famous words, huh? Its a good one. Oh yeah, fed like slick snot!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.