7mm-08 short range deer bullet

BoomFlop

I am looking at getting into reloading so I can pick my compoments. I am looking for a bullet for deer with most shots 20-100 yards with a small chance of shots at 200 yards. This will be with a 7mm-08.

I know this is a Long Range forum but hoping you guys that understand bullet performance can apply it to short range and give me some suggestions! I want the absolute best accuracy and cost of bullet is not a consideration. I don't want to shoot cup and core just because they are cheap and I don't need extreme accuracy at these ranges. I want the best performing bullet/load that I can possibly get.

Thanks all!
Steve

The Nosler 120 gr ballistic tip is what you seek. It has a tougher jacket than the 140 and probably the 150 too. Light recoil is also a benefit. Do a search over on 24hr campfire. It's an awesome deer bullet. I load them in my 7Saum.

Does it still expand rapidly at close range? I am typically a lung shooter but would like more instant kills. Is it bullet (need softer bullet like VLD or something) or is it I need to aim at shoulder? As a predominant archery hunter (only gun hunt 6 days a year with a 9 day season), I tend to automatically put the crosshairs where I put my pin.

I'll second the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have killed a load of deer and some antelope with them and the animal seldom takes a step... from 30 yds to 500+ yds. Very accurate out of all but one 7mm-08 i tried them in. Load them on top a stiff load of Varget with Winchester LR primers for a start. My loads run about 3120 fps, but are a pretty hot load.
They kill like Thor's hammer.

Last edited:
About 3300fps and 1/2" 3 shot groups in my bone stock Saum, and I'm shooting Nosler seconds. Rib shot equals 1/2" in 1 1/2 out. Shoulder shot will anchor anything that grazes in it's tracks.

Fourth for the 120 Ballistic tip.
The Hornady Interlock 139 grain is a great deer bullet and would be awesome at the ranges you mention. I know you stated you don't want cup and core but try a box of the Hornady American Whitetail ammo with that bullet and I bet you'll be pleased.

I have been shooting Hornady Whitetail factory and am not pleased with the effectiveness of that bullet. Can't find entrances and exits are about the size of a nickel. Looking for more expansion for faster kills. Don't get me wrong, the bullet did not fail and the ammunition was very accurate in my R700 Mountain Rifle but I'm looking for more.

Also, I didn't mean I wouldn't shoot cup and core, however I just don't want the cost of bullets to impact your recommendation.

Thanks all.

I would consider the Hammer 113 gr Sledge hammer. You should be able to easily get it to 3250 fps without excess pressure.

If you wanted something special, You could contact Steve at Hammer and say you were named after him and ask if they would make you a 7mm version of their 30 caliber Lever Hammer.

Last edited:
Special? How about a bullet that doesn't cost a buck a piece? Who buys that stuff?

When loaded to Rem 700 S/A mag length the 120's also won't eat up as much case volume as a heavier bullet choice or a longer all copper bullet either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.