7mm-08 short range deer bullet

140gr Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip CT best deer bullet I've found. We've shot tons of deer with them, don't recall anything other than bang-flop. Doesn't matter about the distance that I can tell 20 to 350 yards. Also in my single shot 280rem they are the most accurate bullets I've shot for that rifle.

If it were me loading for your hunting conditions, I would load the 113g Sledge Hammers. You should see nearly 3300 fps. With the large 2.5mm hollow point and the very soft pure copper alloy that we use, these bullets deform very rapidly and will always retain 90%. You don't have to worry about the high velocity impacts grenading on impact like many soft less core bullets. No worries about making sure that you have a broadside shot because they will get through shoulders and make it through the vitals. No worries about losing half of your deer to bloodshot meat if you take a quartering shot. Alwaysdeform the same wether you hit bone or not. No worries about lead in your food. Easier to load develop than any other bullet on the market. Almost always done with load development inside 20 shots. No weight sorting and always the same from lot to lot. And if you don't like them we'll buy them back.

Doesn't sound too bad for $1.02 each.

3300 in a 7mm-08? That is nearly a 200+ FPS increase over the 120 gr loads I am seeing.

I have been on your website and see the list of bullets by caliber but I see nothing as to how they expand or any technical data on them or reloading data.

Tell me more about them please. Even at a 60% increase in price over the BT I am interest if they will expand large and still penetrate.

I have been on your website and see the list of bullets by caliber but I see nothing as to how they expand or any technical data on them or reloading data.

Have you read the information on their Home page?

We designed our bullets to peel the nose like a banana. The petals are then shed to leave a flat frontal area kinda like shooting a bullet backwards. We want that retained shank to track straight through the animal and exit. Bullets tear vital tissue in order to kill. As a bullet slows down inside the animal it causes less tearing. We don't want to see a round mushroom shaped frontal area as this will not disrupt as much vital tissue because it will tend to part it's way through. There is no such thing as a bullet that knows when it has penetrated 3" then blows up and the his the brakes on the far side. They do not have sensors in them. It is a great marketing gimmick though.

I'll get to my to my computer and get a pic of a recovered bullet.

Nosler 140 gr Accubonds have worked very well for my wife out of her 7mm-08. So far she has taken two nice mule deer bucks with one shot each.

I think I need more expansion as my exit holes with Hornady Interlock and Remington Core Lokt's seem to be very small, as in I almost have to search for them.

I don't know if reloading will allow me to push them faster or what?

The old Hornady Light magnum loads I shot were night and day different from the Interlock. I called Hornady and he did not know what bullet it was. I got fist size exits and DRT performance with them.

Here are some pics. 150g DB high vel.jpeg 150g DB low vel.jpeg 150g DB mid vel.jpeg 221g sxs shot.jpg

Impact vel of the 3 similar pics were 3400fps, 2500fps, and a bit under 1800fps. These are test firings of a 150g .308 cal DeadBlow Hammer. These bullets are designed to retain ~50%. We can do this in any of our Hammer Hunter line. Just have not had time to load them on the website. The pic of the sxs comparison is a 221g Hammer Hunter recovered from a blacktail shot end to end. That is perfect bullet performance.

If you are looking to blow animals to pieces our bullet is not for you.

I will add that on our last trip to Africa our Team Hammer took 37 plains game animals and none needed tracking that were hit with lethal shots. The two animals that were hit with non lethal shots did not travel well and were tracked down and taken care of. The animals that were hit well all stopped inside 50y and the majority did not travel at all. Animals from impala to giraffe with an 1800 lb trophy eland taken with a 257wby running our 116g Sledge Hammer.

Very cool. I like the concept a lot. I am not looking to "blow animals to pieces", however I am looking for more expansion than I am currently experiencing.

Do you all offer load data? As a beginner (still putting my list together), I don't want to have to experiment without some guidelines.

Thank you Sir!

Would be more than happy to help find a start load. 1st place I look to is Nosler data. It is pretty hot data and lines up well with our bullets. Hodgdon data is pretty conservative but still a great place to find a start point.

From what your saying you want to do, I would look at the lighter 7mm bullets, at ranges under 300 yds wind drift isn't really a concern, and any bullet from a 7mm-08 will still have plenty of energy for deer, and high impact speed will put a large amount of shock on an animal. Either like people said, the 120 ballistic tip, or if you don't mind spending a little more, I would try out the 113 hammer as suggested. If you were shooting farther, I would look at a heavier high bc bullet, but inside 300 changes the game. I look for the farthest hold on fur load I can get with good terminal ballistics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.