Short barrel/short range target/deer cartridges

I only killed one animal with my former 7mm08. It was an exotic ram, called a Texas Dall, right at 200yds. I used the then available Hornady Light magnum 139SST. It was indeed going as fast as claimed in my Kimber 84M too. I hit him low lung/heart and he ran downhill 75yds or so in a blur, dead on his feet. The bullet did major damage but stopped against the far rib cage, in pieces. I knew it was a fine deer bullet, but something tougher would be needed for bigger deer and/or hard angling shots, not to mention elk. I always looked at the 7mm08 as a "modern" 7x57...good company to be in! At the time I was really getting into hot/fast twist 22's, I had it rebarreled to the 224 TTH. It was a real killer too.

it is hard to beat the 7-08 for close deer but I want something with a little less thump. About 20 years ago I put one thru little 7piont's left nostril and he hit his front knees. I was shootin off a stump from inside an old logging brush pile. It was about 40-50 yards over that cutover. Shot him with iron sights and weaver seethrus. I was aiming at his chest...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.