6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06 for Deer

You didn't offend, I didn't think you were anti gun, and I think switch barrels have some merit.
It was a swung at and missed kind of thing on my end.
You didn't offend, I didn't think you were anti gun, and I think switch barrels have some merit.
It was a swung at and missed kind of thing on my end.
You are a very humble, and highly respectable person. You didn't have to say that, Sir.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly understand were you are from and the 'loco' diction that you use to explain your projection behaviour on others. I will stand by the latest science of 21st Century cartridge cases and bullet designs and you can stand by inefficient barrel burning Magnums that use prodigious amounts of powder compared to a .300 Savage size case, and then you say a 257 Weatherby is a winner. You Sir, are not intellectual or scientific in any sense of the word. You are an angry male that can not deal with facts or truth. I pity you, Sir.

Your most thoughtful post ever, bait taker. Yet totally lacking introspective thought. You'll get there. Have patience.

Well,, I have owned one 25-06 for now approaching 40 years. And its being rebarreled into a 280 AI. I have another 25-06 that I have owned only 8 months. And its going to be re barreled to something more useful.....

Here's the problem with the 25-06: It is and was conceived to be a "one gun" solution for varmints to deer. That means compromise. The twist was set slow, as varmint slugs did not need a fast twist. And the "heavy" slugs in the 120 gr range had to deal with the consequences. And forget anything over 120. And heavy lead core .257 bullets are NOT available.

In the end, the 25-06 is too much for varmints, not quite right for deer (but does both well enough, if you really want to have one gun only).

Back when long distances were 300 yards and people wanted maximum velocity so they did not have to worry about hold over, never mind having a scope with turrets etc, super fast cartridges were the best solution to get to say 300 or 350 yards. The 25-06 can do that.

But its not an accuracy round, horribly over-bore and with the slow twist, a pain to stabilize even the mediocre BC slugs that are out there.

I would never, ever recommend a 25-06 as a deer round. For those posters that say its a "bang-flop" deer round. Well you have not shot enough deer with one. Moreover, many of my 25-06 kills through the years, though SPECTACULAR BANG-FLOPS, were the result of a bullet that just plain blew up. And the process of dressing out the animal and salvaging the meat (a part I consider my ethical duty) was a royal pain.....

NOW -- to my recommendation. If you are deciding between 25-06 and a 6.5 Creedmoor, then you have not researched your options enough. First decide your action. You want short action? You need to consider CM or 260 or 260 AI if you hand load, Maybe 6.5-284 if you don't want to shoot heavy bullets long range. You willing to stay long action? Then the world is your playpen. LOTS of cool options in very high BC bullets. 6.5-06, 6.5 Sherman, 6.5-285, all the 6.5 Magnums, 270 and 270 AI, and in 7mm you can do 7mm RM or 280 AI.

Personally, I am also having trouble deciding. But one bit of advice: the 25-06 is not your ticket to joy...

I personally wonder if you really have ever hunted deer with a 25/06. If you did you must have gotten a Lemmon from the factory. Mine have been extremely accurate, sub .5" groups have been common. In a moment of stupidity, when I was younger, I killed a quail at over 300 yds with my old 25/06 and a 100 gr Nosler Solid Base Boat Tail. I have killed 75 or so Mule deer with the several I have owned over the last 40 years. Anywhere from 50 to 700 yards. The 25/06 is a spectacular deer killer. At least 90% have gone down like they were hit with the hammer of Thor! I dont normally Hunt elk with them but I have killed 3 elk with he 25/06 with decent results. I have also killed deer with the 7mm Rem, the 280AI and the 30/06. None of them have equaled the 25/06 in the bang flop arena. The 7mm Rem has come close and certainly shines at super long range . But for deer, my favorite gun has been the 26/06. I don't have a Creedmoor, so I can't personally compare the two but I have experienced a great deal of joy behind the 25/06. It certainly stands on its own for deer!

The difference in 257 and 264diameter is 2 red pubic hairs . a 120 grain 257 bullet going 3400 fps has an devastating impact. No creedmoor can compare. None. In 80 years no one has done anything that out dates or out preforms Roy's cartridges. Some may not have the belt, or the double radius shoulder. But his theory of fast kills better is still true today