25-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor

LPRoad

I recently retired and moved to New Mexico where I have set up a 600 yard range. While I lived in Maine, I had no need for a long range rifle, an old Win Model 94 would serve my needs. Therefore when I first moved to Maine in the early 80s I sold an M77 7mm Mag which was a great rifle. Always regretted that.

Now I am looking for a rifle that I can shoot targets with out to 600 yards, and possibly hunt with. Within walking distance of my house you can find everything from prairie dogs to elk.

I have read for hours and hours all I can find on 25-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems to me it boils down to:

6.5, better bullet selection. 25-06 marginal for elk (must be very selective of shot placement and range). 6.5, less wind drift.

All things point to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Recently I came across a very nice old M77V tang safety in 25-06 with a very low round count. I can pick it up for a couple of hundred dollars less than the cheapest Hawkeye Predator I have seen in 6.5 Creedmoor. I can buy a lot of bullets and tinker with loads for $200.

This is a classic "help me decide" thread. You all have a lot more experience than I do.

Thanks, Allen

I shoot the 25-06 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. You want the Creedmoor for 600 yard shooting and possible elk. Plus it doubles as a varmint round too.

The 25-06 has it's place. It shoots a fast bullet and is accurate, but does not have the bullet weight and high BC to compete with the 6.5. The 6.5 is a little slower and not as flat shooting, but really starts to shine at distance. These days with the accuracy of rangefinders a slower, but very accurate cartridge with high BC bullets can trump a faster cartridge. Now if it were just P dogs, coyotes, and deer at varying medium ranges the 25-06 will shine. But for the 600 yard target shooting get the 6.5 Creedmoor, you will love it.

I would no doubt toss the 25-06 out of the decision, just too light for elk and too light in this NM wind. The CM is a wicked little round but I'm thinking 600yds may be a hair long for elk. If you like the smaller bullets I'd go w/ the 6.5x284, but personally I'd step up my weight and go 280, 284, or 7mm mag. Even just a range gun the high BC 7mm bullets typically yield better results. If my max range is 600yds I want to get there w/ authority, not barely.

FYI... the 600yd mid range f-class out here (NM) is dominated by the 7mm. Some guys have gone from the 6.5x284 to the 284... others have gone 284 to 284 shehane. Its been a while since I've been to the 1000yd f-class, but if I recall correctly there isn't much difference from the mid range.

I think both would suit your needs just fine. If you can score that Ruger for a steal I wouldn't look back. I love 25's and 6.5's and at 600 there really isn't enough difference to worry about. The 25 is a little bit flatter but gives up a little energy and wind drift. Recoil is about the same, but the 25 uses a bit more powder. There is a little give and take, but both would work just fine.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do have 2 rifles that would be more suited for elk caliber wise, an 8mm mauser and a 308. Neither is exactly a tack driver though. The new rifle would be primarily for informal target shooting, with the notion that I COULD hunt with it :) I'm still on fence here, but leaning more towards the 6.5 creedmoor. I will check out the 7mm ss, although I suspect a rifle chambered for that may well be out of my price range.

In that case the CM is hard to beat.

Sounds like you're pretty limited for elk. If you draw a tag I see a new rifle in your future.

In that case the CM is hard to beat.

Sounds like you're pretty limited for elk. If you draw a tag I see a new rifle in your future.

Haha, yeah, if I ever get around to fencing my land to keep the cattle out, I may look into the requirements for a landowner elk tag.

Land owner or through the regular draw. It doesn't take much to meet the requirements for a LO elk tag in NM. If cattle is a problem make the owners of the cattle fence in their cows, you shouldn't have to fence out their livestock. If it were me I'd be eating filet mignon every night! :D

There is a lot more NM to hunt than just your land. Where about are you?

I think both would suit your needs just fine. If you can score that Ruger for a steal I wouldn't look back. I love 25's and 6.5's and at 600 there really isn't enough difference to worry about. The 25 is a little bit flatter but gives up a little energy and wind drift. Recoil is about the same, but the 25 uses a bit more powder. There is a little give and take, but both would work just fine.

I personally think the 25-06 has nothing to do besides a 6.5 CM. Here´s a graph of how does a 25-06 117gr Superformance stands besides my 6.5 CM load. I used the Superformance load because I´ve never loaded for a 25-06 so I have no first hand experience on what MV can be achieved, but read somewhere superformance loads are hard to beat.
I use 43.5gr RL-17 with a CCI 200 Primer and a 123 Gr SST bullet.

I chose this load because is the closest I have to de 117Gr .257" and delivers outstanding results for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15,203
Thanks for your graph, it helps confirm my decision to go with the Creedmoor. I only wish I could afford ALL the guns I want. Of course, I would need a much larger house.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.